× Members

Moving around (walking) question in pip assesment

More
4 years 5 months ago #238868 by Jonathan
Hi
I am applaying for pip. I learned from your guide that the mobility of someone is assesed intermes of how many metters he can walk (less than 20meter or more etc) .i heard from some people that you can be asked also how many minutes you walk or how many minuties will take you to walk say 20metere ,30 metters etc. Is it agood or bad to explain it interms of minutes. Is thete a criteria in this regard (walking interms of minutie) .can they asses you bssed on how many minutes you walk?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #238872 by Gordon
Jonathan

Yes, they can calculate distance from the time you say you can walk, they will estimate your walking speed from their observations of you at the assessment.

I would time yourself walking over set distances, if you have to stop during the walk then this time should be included in the total, I would note the time you are stationary.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 5 months ago #238881 by alisp
Yes, do be careful of this, it's a trick question - and one which has seriously harmed my caree's chances of getting PIP because she had no idea, tossed out something at random, then realised it was far too long and divided it by 3, but only the first answer has been recorded, and her correction hasn't been believed anywhere down the line. I think it's probably better, if asked, to say "I don't know, I've never timed it" rather than risk a guess. Anyway, it's quite improper to assume that if someone says they can walk for say 2 minutes, that they can cover x metres in that time - pain, fatigue and all sorts might get in the way.

Carer for a long-term ME/CFS sufferer

More
4 years 5 months ago #238882 by alisp
(Also, bear in mind that "moving around" in this context means outside, on a paved surface or similar, according to the DWP's own rules. It's not wandering around inside your home. There can be a huge difference between the two)

Carer for a long-term ME/CFS sufferer

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.