× Members

Savings re ESA

• Each day as it comes
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 3 months ago #242244 by Each day as it comes
Replied by Each day as it comes on topic Savings re ESA
To add clarification to my last message, before latest savings-based payment reassessment for ESA (just over a month ago), I had £16 deducted from my ESA eligible amount each week - my payments (I think) were £356.60 every fortnight. My ESA payments are now £324.60 every fortnight. My savings account plus current account total approximately £12,700 (this figure might be slightly out because I've estimated a couple of payments that are due to go out of my account tomorrow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #242247 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Savings re ESA
H

I can't give you a definitive answer about paying into a pension, I've done several searches and cannot find any advice that covers this situation, whilst pension pots are normally disregarded for Income Related benefits this is a different situation and there is a risk that the DWP may consider you to still be in possession of the money and make appropriate deductions.

My advice would be to ask the DWP for an opinion on what you plan to do, make the request in writing so they are forced to reply in same.

As to the other expenditure, be restrained but if there are things that you definitely need then buy them, just make sure that you keep a receipt for everything.

I can't tell you how often you need to inform the DWP that your savings have reduced, the calculation is based on every £250 in excess of £6000, the reduction has to be sustained, your benefit payments are disregarded for the period that they cover, so ESA is paid fortnightly so it disregarded for the fortnight.

Write to the DWP office dealing with your claim declaring the reduction, I would not include any other information, let them ask for what they need to see.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Each day as it comes
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 3 months ago #242248 by Each day as it comes
Thanks, Gordon. That's all very helpful.
Is there a way for me to get email alerts on topics I've started/ replied to?

More
4 years 3 months ago #242250 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Savings re ESA
H

I'm afraid not but we aim to answer all outstanding posts during each afternoon and evening session.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Each day as it comes
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 3 months ago #242251 by Each day as it comes
No worries. I only asked because I missed a reply from someone else because I wasn't looking for it.

I really appreciate how speedy the advice comes from this forum and happy to keep the webpage open and check when I've an enquiry ongoing,

Thanks again and hope you have a good break over Christmas.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.