× Members

DLA and pension credit disability element

More
4 years 6 months ago #238955 by Rebecca01*
DLA and pension credit disability element was created by Rebecca01*
I believe you can claim the disability element of pension credit if you are on higher it care of DLA. However what if you are only entitled to the savings element of pension credit due to
(Small) Lancashire County Council pension can you still get the disability element of pension credit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #238957 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA and pension credit disability element
Rebecca

I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to :(

Pension Credit has two elements;

- Guarantee Credit which provides a guaranteed level of income for people over State Pension age.
- Savings Credit is paid to people aged 65 and over and is worked out by looking at the level of retirement provision you have made. It may be paid as well as Guarantee Credit or on its own.

There is no "disability" element, however, there is a Severe Disability Addition which is paid as part of the Guaranteed element, it increases the amount you might receive and therefor might mean that you are entitled to this Element if you are not now.

You need to be receiving DLA Medium or Higher Rate Care (there are others), you need to live alone or be considered as living alone and no one must receive Carers Allowance against your DLA award.

There's a PC calculator on the following page.

www.gov.uk/pension-credit/what-youll-get

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 6 months ago #238961 by Rebecca01*
Replied by Rebecca01* on topic DLA and pension credit disability element
Sorry I have got confused, my mum gets higher rate care DLA and savings credit she doesn't get pension credit because she gets a small county council pension. I am going to be ceasing being her carer because I now need help myself and can no longer look after her, my sisters are going to all take over and spread the workload between them. This means that nobody will be claiming Carer's Allowance for my mum anymore so I thought my mum may now be entitled to claim the severe disability part of pension credit as you cannot claim it if somebody is claiming Carer's Allowance. Will she be eligible for it if she only gets the savings part of pension credit so sorry if I am still not making sense haha. X

More
4 years 6 months ago #238963 by Gary
Hi Rebecca

Your mother may be entitled to PC now that no one claims carers allowance for her, check out Gordon's link www.gov.uk/pension-credit/what-youll-get .

PC is means tested, therefore if your mother is single then her allowance would be £167.25 pw. As your mother receives DLA care, high rate then she would also receive a SDP premium £65.85 pw as no one is now claiming carers allowance for her. Her total allowance would be £233.10 pw minus any additional income your mother receives such as state pensions, occupational pensions, private pensions.

Remember that pension credit is a qualifying benefit for additional benefits such as housing benefit and TV licence for those over 75 from June 2020.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.