× Members

Disability Law

More
4 years 6 months ago #238967 by Dart
Disability Law was created by Dart
This is not a usual query but I'm lookingfor Acts, and relevant Case Law (Supreme Court preferably) regarding PIP, Bedroom Tax and possibly ESA. My daughter is trying to write an entry for the Supreme Court Essay Competition for sixth form students. The topic she has chosen is relating to whether the Law has done enough to avoid discrimination in minority groups. She is planning to structure her essay around PIP and the Bedroom Tax which both have Supreme Court Judgements relationg to them. She has located the social support one and one on the bedroom Tax.

She will have to know the Acts themselves and relevant Case Law and googling for them is very confusing.Have you any ideas? The Essays are marked by Supreme Court Judges and the winner has tea with Lady Hale.Perhaps her Essay would inform and questionexisting opinions.! My daughter is very persuasive!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #238969 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Disability Law
Hi Dart

This is something she will have to do the research for. If she googles supreme court PIP, then supreme court ESA or supreme court Bedroom Tax - relevant cases will come up.

If she goes to the Disability Rights UK website they have court cases (not all supreme court) going back yearly to 2003, but she will have to search for what is relevant to her.

My advice is that she chooses to focus on one area. PIP, Bedroom Tax and possibly ESA is a lot. It's easy to search when she knows what the exact subject of her essay is. She will need at the very least the 2010 Equalities Act.

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 6 months ago #238992 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic Disability Law
Hello Dart,

I agree with BIS that your daughter should concentrate on one benefit such as PIP:

1. Marc Perlic’s case law pack is an excellent source from which to start: www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3959-50-o...caselaw-pack-out-now

2. Documents 2013-19 concerning PIP following the Welfare Reform Act 2011 can be found on this government website: www.legislation.gov.uk/all?title=persona...dependence%20payment

3. Hansard records multiple references to PIP: beta.parliament.uk/search?q=hansard+pers...independence+payment

4. And there’s this from the HoC library: researchbriefings.parliament.uk/Research...fing/Summary/SN06538

I half wonder whether your daughter might do well to focus on a specific type of claimant. For example, does the law protect the physically disabled claimant better that the claimant with mental health or cognitive issues? Or how does the claimant with a rare medical condition fare in law by comparison with claimants with well documented conditions that were probably to the forefront of the legislators’ minds?

It’s been many years since I have last had contact with the library staff of either House but back in the day an email always received a prompt response.

I wish your daughter every success. She sounds an amazing young woman.

Mari
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS

More
4 years 6 months ago #239059 by Dart
Replied by Dart on topic Disability Law
Thanks BIS and Mari so much. Your links will be so useful. My daughter would prefer to consider one benefit as she only has 1000-1500 wordsBUT she needs to use 2 Supreme Court Judgments in her argument. She would like to focus on PIP ( she has been helping me a lot with my PIP2) but can only find one suitable Judgment regarding the Social Support issue. The going out/psychological distress rulingwas High Court.She would still use this one but is short of one Supreme Court one.She was researching the Welfare reform Act 2012 last night....

More
4 years 6 months ago #239063 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Disability Law
Dart

There are several High Court discrimination cases for Universal Credit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 6 months ago #239071 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic Disability Law
Hello again Dart,

I went through to the Supreme Court website this morning and used their search engine as well as Google. I cannot find a PIP case other that what your daughter already has.

However, there have been at least these four cases to do with the Bedroom Tax:
www.disabilityrightsuk.org/bedroom-tax-s...court-decision-cases
As you know, this welfare change has belted claimants of disability benefits and claimants in receipt of various means-tested benefits so it could prove a worthwhile focus for a meaty essay.

I suggest your daughter starts by deciding the cases she want to use and other cases to which she might want to make brief reference. This will determine which Acts and parliamentary procedures are necessary to read and refer to in the essay. A maximum length of 1500 words is not generous and leaves no place for anything that’s not bang on topic!

All the best,

Mari

PS. Check whether footnotes are included in the word limit.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.