× Members

ESA support group and permitted work

More
4 years 5 months ago #239053 by percey
ESA support group and permitted work was created by percey
Hello,
I'm seeking information about permitted work whilst on ESA. I am tentatively considering this option, but wary, regarding losing my benefit, or triggering a reassessment. I formally worked as a registered nurse, but left the profession due to my mental health decline.
I am considering a return on limited hours, perhaps one shift a week. I'm aware of the parameters; up to16 hours and up to £131.50.
The mental health professionals who are involved with me are supportive of me pursuing this option. However, I'm concerned that any return to nursing may be viewed as I'm well enough to be taken off benefits. I'm aware working full/part time may be too much and that I need to take a very careful approach, to make sure I don't relapse.
I'm wondering if anyone has any similar experience of using the permitted work option?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #239054 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA support group and permitted work
percey

There's a guide to Permitted Work in the ESA section.

The primary question you need to ask yourself is whether your doing this PW contradicts the reasons why you have been placed in the SG.

Secondly, if your doing the PW is because your conditions have improved, does this mean that you have to notify the DWP about this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 5 months ago #239058 by percey
Replied by percey on topic ESA support group and permitted work
Thanks for replying and framing those questions.It's a really tricky issue for me as I haven't worked for many years, but would like to test the water.
My health issues as far as I can determine are chronic and longstanding and my improvement is linked to how I manage my stress vulnerabilities. I don't foresee that I'd ever be able to return to full time work because of this. I live with the understanding that if the stress in my life exceeds my coping abilities I will relapse. It feels like it's not worth the risk of trying to move forward as it requires a system that is supportive and not punitive in its approach to claimants. I'm guessing that the DWP may lean towards the punitive side on this issue.

More
4 years 5 months ago #239062 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA support group and permitted work
percey

I'm afraid there is no good answer to this, we do have members who are doing PW without it impacting on their ESA, have you looked at Supported PW, this might offer more protection of your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.