× Members

Earning for charity on ESA

More
4 years 5 months ago #239966 by King_Drax_I
Earning for charity on ESA was created by King_Drax_I
My daughter is on ESA and is in the support group.

As a hobby, and when she has the energy, she composes and records music with a view to selling it online. Any money she makes will be going to charity.

How does this affect her ESA? She anticipates earning much less than the £131 per week; does she have to inform the DWP that she is doing this?

I am assuming that she will need to register as self-employed, but I realise this is outside the remit of this forum. However, if she does register as self-employed solely for the purpose of this charity selling thing, would that too affect her benefits?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #239979 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Earning for charity on ESA
Drax

She can do it as Permitted Work, there is a guide to this in the ESA section. earning under PW will not affect her ESA.

She also needs to check if there is any tax implication.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: King_Drax_I

More
4 years 5 months ago #239988 by King_Drax_I
Replied by King_Drax_I on topic Earning for charity on ESA
Thanks Gordon. I found the PDF about permitted work, and ite suggests getting independent advice, and says that "You can find out where to go for
advice from the Getting help with your benefits section of the Benefits and Work website".

I can't find that section; I realise it may have been renamed - please can you tell me where it is?

Thanks again

More
4 years 5 months ago #239992 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Earning for charity on ESA
Hi Drax

Link below for help with benefits.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 5 months ago #239995 by King_Drax_I
Replied by King_Drax_I on topic Earning for charity on ESA
Thank you Bis, but where does it tell me where to find out about getting independent advice, like it suggests I do in that guide?

More
4 years 5 months ago #239997 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Earning for charity on ESA
Hi Drax

I clicked on BIS's link and found the following site .... If you need specific benefits advice, you can download our FREE, 12 page guide to getting help with your benefits. www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/images/image/s.../getting_help_v3.pdf

The fact sheet is dated May 2014, I have had a quick check and a number of telephone numbers are out of date so you may want to check on line for up to date contact details.

If you cannot find what you are looking for then try Disability Information Advice Line (DIAL) or Citizens Advice

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.