× Members

PIP mobility descriptors.

More
4 years 4 months ago #240092 by Ted Pea
PIP mobility descriptors. was created by Ted Pea
Hi,
I got the PIP lower rate of mobility this summer, thanks to a brilliant MR by my adviser.
I basically only go out twice, maybe three times a week, due to mental health issues, usually getting a lift by family members or getting a cab when necessary.
I expected to get awarded points for d) Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid.
But my adviser argued for, and I was awarded points for e) Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.

I asked my adviser about this, and I think she means that as I only go out twice a week then this isn't the majority of the time, so would be classed as 'cannot undertake any journey.'
I would be happier with d), as it seems closer to my circumstances, and I wouldn't be able to explain why e) applies, should anyone ever ask.

So, I'm a bit confused, and don't want to keep pestering my adviser as she's very busy.

Does anyone else understand what I've just said, and the reasons why I get points for e)?

Plus, I'd like to start driving again, if I my meds allow, and also, I've taken some short bus rides recently, in the morning when it's quiet. (I can't always get a lift, and taxis are expensive.)
When I last drove, I liked the safety of my cocoon, and could get to the shops, or visit family, alone.

So, my second question, is at what point should I notify the DWP about a change in my travelling habits?
(Though I have been able to drive in the past, I have always had mobility issues, and always will have, due to autism and agoraphobia, and the constant risk of a panic attack. Though I qualify for ten points at the moment, I don't think I would if I started driving, or braving the bus, so I assume I would have to lose my mobility component which isn't much, and would then not be able to get a bus pass, or blue badge (which I haven't applied for yet))

I hope this post isn't too muddled.

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.