× Members

PIP Companion v Appointee - regulations

More
4 years 4 months ago #240101 by ostia
Hello
After about 7 weeks I have had a letter from PIP Assessors saying they want to visit me at home for the assessment, as requested by my GP. I had also asked for a paper assessment if at all possible as I sent in 25 letters from Consultants, Neurologists and people who know me about my conditions. I can't tell them any more in a face to face and am really scared of them being in my tiny studio flat with me. However the claim is from indefinite DLA to PIP so maybe they felt they should just check me out? I said I would need time to arrange for someone to be with me and I know that is allowed.
I noticed in the form they sent me that I can have an "Appointee" rather than a companion to be with me. We both need to be present for the interview to go ahead. I do not have a suitable person I can call on but there is a kindly lady at a local church running a free benefits clinic who encouraged me with the PIP form in the summer and said she would be happy to help me further. She cannot meet with me before next Tuesday and the interview is next Friday. I doubt she will be able to attend in the morning at such short notice and there is so much to read through too.
If she is an Appointee rather than a Companion does this mean that the PIP assessor may allow us to cancel the Friday appt and wait until we can arrange a time when this lady can attend with me please? If they just issue another random date I do not know whether she will be able to attend. I will know more when I meet her next Tuesday. I think for a Companion they only allow one change of appt or is this not correct? I got the letter yesterday and have not rung the PIP people yet as I have been in such a panic about it but I did get an appt to meet the lady at the benefits clinic again, which is a start.
Many thanks
Ostia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #240102 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Companion v Appointee - regulations
ostia

No, they are not an appointee just a companion.

An appointee is a legally defined role which requires the prior agreement of the DWP and is only done where there is evidence that a benefit claimant cannot handle their own affairs.

You can cancel the current appointment but you will have to attend the new one whenever or wherever it is arranged for.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 4 months ago #240152 by ostia
Replied by ostia on topic PIP Companion v Appointee - regulations
Thank you for clarifying the roles.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.