× Members

Home assessment denied

More
4 years 5 months ago #240165 by supergreatgran
Home assessment denied was created by supergreatgran
Hi everyone, I have several conditions including mental illness that make it impossible to go to an assessment centre. I explained this in my form and asked for a home visit. They have sent me an appointment at the centre. Is there anything I can do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #240166 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Home assessment denied
Hi Supergreatgran

Very few home visits take place and in order to be granted one you generally need a supporting letter from a GP which states that it would be detrimental to your mental health and cause overwhelming psychological distress for you to attend an assessment centre. Without that sort of letter, you are unlikely to be granted one. If you don't think your GP will back you up, you could try ringing the number on your letter and seeing if they would consider changing to a home visit.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: supergreatgran

More
4 years 5 months ago #240209 by supergreatgran
Replied by supergreatgran on topic Home assessment denied
Thank you BIS. I am so scared now. I haven't been here long and see whichever gp is available. None of them know how badly affected I can be. I rely on my daughter to take me to hospital appointments, which are very different to this. The time and place are impossible and the very nature of it is already giving me nightmares and panic attacks. Even if it was just down the road it would be a nightmare. I am sure many will know what I mean when I say that I feel like I am being treated like a criminal. I've had DLA for 24 years and had serious physical and mental illness since childhood. I am not going to get better, and am getting worse as time passes.
Sorry just having a moan, I know no one has a magic wand and I know they have to be thorough because of the many false claims, but it doesnt make it any easier. Better make that call I just hope I can make them understand without falling apart. :ohmy:

More
4 years 4 months ago #240807 by supergreatgran
Replied by supergreatgran on topic Home assessment denied
I am just back from my PIP assessment. I called to ask for a home assessment last week and the lady said she would see what dates were available. When she had checked she sounded surprised and said that i am locked in to attending the centre and couldn't change it. She didn't know why. She said that they would pay for a taxi, but I couldn't go alone so that wasn't an option.

My daughter took the day off work to take me this morning. She came in with me and it seemed to go ok. The assessor was very nice and seemed to be thorough, making sure he had the right information. I had ticked that I didn't need any help with eating and drinking but do tend to make a mess. He asked me about it and I said I had no idea why and wasn't claiming for it, it's just me. He stopped me and said it was important that it is included and this is what the assessment is for, to make sure that they have the full picture. It took 1hr 15 mins. I cried several times trying to explain things. He allowed my daughter to say how she sees me, and how badly I am affected. She can see a relapse before I am aware of it. .I told him that if I go out one day I can't go out the next day because I have to recover. He said that means that I can only function for 3 days a week which is about right but I hadn't thought of it that way.

I am concerned about the mobility part, it is very confusing. If I can walk 20 metres and need to stop half way, does that mean I can only walk 10 metres, or does it mean I could do it faster if I didn't stop.

I only had to do some small moves, to see how far I could reach and how far I could bend. My daughter told me not to even attempt one of them and he agreed that I shouldn't if it didn't feel safe. I did it and yelped in pain then almost fell over. I asked if I was allowed to slap him and he said I can if I can catch him first. :laugh: I knew it would be hard, but wanted him to actually see it.
I think it went ok. He was telling me what he was typing most of the time and it seemed pretty accurate. I just have to wait for the DWP to make a decision. I am glad it is over, I have had nightmares about it and been so stressed.

More
4 years 4 months ago #240808 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Home assessment denied
Hi supergreatgran

I am sorry that you didn't get the home visit you wanted, but pleased to hear that you had a sensitive assessor.

The distance is to walk less than 20 metres - that's how they look at it.

I would try to put it on the back burner for now because you can drive yourself mad wondering how the assessor has judged you. By next Tuesday you can ring up and request a copy of the assessor's report if you want to.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: supergreatgran

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.