× Members

ESA SDP and change of circumstances RE HB

More
4 years 5 months ago #240464 by Pandora65
I wonder if someone can help.

My son has an award for ESA with SDP. He also claims Housing Benefit and has done so for about 3 years. Since his claim his local council has now gone full service UC. He is about to be made unintentionally homeless as the lady who's house he lodges at is selling up. He has arranged to stay temporarily with friends until he can find either a Housing Association place or a private rental who will accept HB tenants. My question is can his housing benefit just be suspended during the transitional period or if its stopped, can he make a new claim without having to claim under UC?
Is he protected under the 'Transitional' arrangements for 'legacy benefit' claimants?
He will not be moving councils. He has been assessed as being 'vulnerable' by the housing officer and will be given the highest rating to be able to bid on a property when anything becomes available. He's living with cancer, anxiety and depression as well as having ASD.

Anyone with recent experience of this?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #240477 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA SDP and change of circumstances RE HB
Pandora

If he is receiving the SD Premium as part of his ESA then he is barred from claiming Universal Credit so even if he has to make a new claim, providing he is still entitled to the SDP or was in the previous month then he is OK to claim Housing Benefit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 4 months ago #240772 by Pandora65
Replied by Pandora65 on topic ESA SDP and change of circumstances RE HB
Hi Gordan

Thank you for the clarification. It has put my mind at rest.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.