× Members

PIP success

More
4 years 4 months ago #241465 by CLINTIAN
PIP success was created by CLINTIAN
Hello Gordon and colleagues and a big thank you for all your help, After a successful PIP review for my husband [moved up to both enhanced care and mobility on the mental side of things] I would like to ask the following questions
1. A Paper review was conducted by atos, the decision award from the DWP contains the categories and points scored so the question is do we ask for more information from them that they might have about how they and atos come to the decision if so how and to whom?
2. His award is ongoing and will be looked at in ten years time which would take him up to the age of mid 64, is this regarded as for life?
3. he is on ESA, if universal credit comes in would he need to re apply or be tested for ESA and PIP again ?
4. as he has been moved up from standard care and no mobility to enhanced for both could he receive additional funds in premiums for ESA for example?
5. on the mobility side my husband was awarded twelve points as he can’t follow the route of a familiar journey for the majority of time without myself or a person to be with him due to overwhelming psychological distress and also a substantial risk of possible physical harm to himself or others, the question is a car would be a great help to his mobility needs as this would reduce the chances of meeting people along the way and gain much help and independence than rely on public transport, am I right that he would benefit from free car tax? And would he be allowed a blue badge [or is this for physical disabilities?], would a car driven by himself on the few times he gets out contradict in anyway the fact that he can’t follow the route of a familiar journey for the majority of time without myself or a person to be with him due to overwhelming psychological distress and also a substantial risk of possible physical harm to himself or others?,
Thank you all very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #241477 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP success
BODGE

Congratulations on the award, well done.

1. An assessment report (PA3) will still have been produced you can request a copy by contacting the DWP office dealing with his claim.

2. There is no indefinite award for PIP, and On-Going award is as close as it gets, we are yet to see what will happen when these awards reach the ten year mark, this will not happen until mid 2023 at the earliest.

3. PIP is not a UC benefit so it would not be affected by a transfer, his ESA claim would only be reassessed if the reassessment date coincides with the transfer date.

4. Enhanced PIP Daily Living would make him eligible for the Enhanced Disability Premium, assuming he is entitled to ESA(IR), however, if he is in the SG then this should already be paid.

5. He does not meet the criteria for automatic qualification for a Blue Badge but he could ask to be assessed by his Local Authority.

An Enhanced Mobility award entitles the claimant to nominate a vehicle that is used for their benefit to be exempt from Vehicle Taxation.

It also makes him eligible to join the Motability scheme, the car can be for his use specifically or it can be used by a third party for his benefit, In simple terms, he can either drive himself around or someone can do it for him.

Whilst I don't expect it to have any impact on the current award we do regularly see assessors suggesting that a claimant who is able to drive on their own is able to follow a route.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLINTIAN

More
4 years 4 months ago #241647 by CLINTIAN
Replied by CLINTIAN on topic PIP success

Gordon wrote: BODGE

Whilst I don't expect it to have any impact on the current award we do regularly see assessors suggesting that a claimant who is able to drive on their own is able to follow a route.

Gordon

Hello Gordon and colleagues and a big thank you for all your help, I am concerned if I have done the correct thing in applying for free car tax now as I am now worried it could be twisted to say he can’t follow a route and trigger another assessment, as far as I see it the enhanced award was his needs to have someone with him for the majority of time [the car is hardly used by him, only once or twice a fortnight], would the DVLA contact the DWP/PIP?, should I cancel the free car tax to save any possible review or confusion? Or am I worrying over nothing, Thank you all very much for any help.

More
4 years 4 months ago #241648 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP success
BODGE

The DVLA won't contact the DWP but even if they did it does not imply he is the driver, someone else may drive him around in the nominated car.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLINTIAN

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.