× Members

NI credits

More
4 years 2 months ago #244073 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Fighting for temporary ESA+HB, or UC?
Grace

They will round up to the next £250 so in your example the deduction will be based on a figure of £15,250.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: grace

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #244410 by grace
Replied by grace on topic 'Deprivation of Capital' Rule
Gordon, I’ve been given variations of ‘facts’ by other benefits advisors on the ‘deprivation of capital’ rule, so I’d really like your answer, please:

I am spending per month the rough equivalent of what my 3 means-tested benefits totalled before they were stopped when my capital increased above £16,000. Are we allowed to spend our capital on additional costs (that would take our monthly expenditure above the equivalent of what our means-tested benefits totalled) like:
Treatment
Care
Broken appliances & equipment that need replacing?

I’ve started a spreadsheet of out-of-the-ordinary expenses that fit into the above categories, along with receipts, in case they are ever needed.

And just thinking logically, surely the ‘deprivation of capital’ rule has a time-limit on it? Surely, ESA/HB are not going to track our expenditure longer than say 2 years – eg if our capital depletes to £16,000 in 1.5 years when in theory it should’ve lasted us 2 years? Or eg it depletes to £16,000 in 2.5 years when in theory it should’ve lasted us 3 years? After a certain lengthy period of time has passed of us living off our capital when it’s still above £16,000, and then we contact them saying our capital has now depleted to £16,000, surely they’ll just make us start a new claim and not ask us for receipts for what we’ve spending our money on for the last 2 or 3 or 4 years? – any idea of what that lengthy period of time is?

How do ESA/HB calculate anyway when is the length of time our capital should last us until? Will they really go through the hassle of taking note of each year’s ESA rates, and local Council Tax Reduction figures, and adjust their calculation each new financial year of how much we should be spending per month and therefore how long our capital should last us…so as to not find us guilty of ‘deprivation of capital’?

More
4 years 2 months ago #244427 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic 'Deprivation of Capital' Rule
Grace

There are some guidelines but few rules for Deprivation of Capital, ultimately it comes down to a DM should there be an issue, the following is the DWP guidance

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/governm...e/865730/dmgch52.pdf

Paragraphs 52805 onwards.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: grace, paul

More
4 years 2 months ago #244883 by grace
Replied by grace on topic HB Capital Rule
Gordon, often when I’ve written ESA/HB in my questions, you only used the name DWP when answering but I’ve assumed the facts were also applying to HB? I’ve written before that when the DWP/local Council make us jump through relentless hoops, it can make us start questioning whether we do know the facts…whether we are right. My Council are playing dirty with backdating the date of when their HB payments should have started again – not when they did restart. And every time they reply to my letters they write incorrect things and won’t budge so that every time I write back repeating the same evidence it escalates my case through their appeal process – instead of the original person doing their job properly. It’s unfair because I may run out of appeal options – and it takes so long to get a reply once in their appeal process, not to mention the cruelty of making ill claimants jump through unnecessary hoops. I’m now at their Independent Tribunal stage, before they submit my case to HMCTS.

I’m sorry to bother checking this with you again but as I said I’m wondering if I have bizarrely got the wrong facts:
1) HB are not allowed to include my DLA as capital?
2) HB should make no adjustment to take account of my benefit payments or expenditure; HB should use the last agreed figure for my savings and assets until a new agreed figure is available and then they should use that? (In even plainer English) HB should not alter the agreed amount just because I have received new benefit payments or because I have spent some or all of the money?

Please could you provide me with links (like you did for the Deprivation of Capital guidelines) of the facts for these 2 above points – perhaps it will help my case if the Council are forced to read government evidence saying the same thing as my own language?

More
4 years 2 months ago #244906 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic HB Capital Rule
Grace

We do not advise on Housing Benefit on the forum but I will answer

If you are receiving Income Related ESA in whole or in part then you should be entitled to full Housing Benefit and no consideration of your savings or income should be made by your Local Authority.

The rules for your DLA are the same for HB and ESA(IR) are the same, it is not treated as income (there are exceptions) but any DLA that is not spent will be treated as capital.

Whilst all LAs operate under a set of common basic rules, the implementation of HB is specific to each HB.

I'm afraid I do not have any links to the guidance that LAs use but you can ask them for a reference to the legislation/guidance that they are using.

Gordon

More
4 years 2 months ago #245323 by grace
Replied by grace on topic HB Capital Rule
I didn’t realise you didn’t advise on HB so thank you…although I guess it’s difficult separating it when eg in my instance my ESA issues are so closely linked to it.

Because you wrote that LAs could implement HB differently, I phoned a local benefits advisor who said she’s always understood that capital IS taken into account for HB, and that the £16,000 threshold is the same for all LAs. No local advisors were able to direct me to HB legislation/regulations, but I eventually found it on Shelter Legal’s website – if any other claimants reading this thread should need it too:
Shelter Legal – benefits – housing benefit – calculation of housing benefit – capital and income
Shelter Legal – benefits – housing benefit – appealing housing benefit decisions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS, paul

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.