× Members

Medication & Ability

More
4 years 4 months ago #241796 by Mike Baker
Medication & Ability was created by Mike Baker
Gordon hi and thanks for your ongoing advice. Please help with a query! I have just had a reassessment for worsening health issues. My medication and health professionals evidence supports this however please clarify for me:
- If I can only complete descriptors once strong medication takes effect but am unable to complete it reliably before effects of medication, do I qualify as not meeting this descriptor?— it is with regards to dressing/undressing at the appropriate tones of the day.. mornings & evenings..
Your advice is much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #241816 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Medication & Ability
Mike

If you had said Washing and Bathing then I would say it was a solid "yes" but I think the case for Dressing is a bit more complicated and would be more dependant on the time involved and the issues involved, one of the things that they will be considering is that clothing is normally portable.

So, one hour possibly not, four hours more likely. Can you only dress in your bedroom? Have you properly addressed the issues of aids and assistance?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 4 months ago #241888 by Mike Baker
Replied by Mike Baker on topic Medication & Ability
Thanks Gordon, my previous award contained 2 points which made up my 8 points on the fact of needing to use shoe horn in the morning period.
At the medical, I was able to touch both feet from seated position as my strong medication blunts the pain enough for me to do this. On the PA4 she has removed my 2 point descriptor.... even though they awarded me previously knowing about this situation!—

More
4 years 4 months ago #241897 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Medication & Ability
Mike

I think this will be difficult, especially if this is the only aid that you require in order to dress and you have no other problems with putting clothes on.

Does it extend to slippers or shoes that you would reasonably wear around your home?

You can certainly go back to the reliability criteria and the need for your pain medication to become effective but you will need to address the issue in some way of your only being affected for part of the day, one of the counter arguments might be that if you are so limited before the medication takes effect can you actually go anywhere that would necessitate the wearing of shoes.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 4 months ago #241909 by Mike Baker
Replied by Mike Baker on topic Medication & Ability
Thanks Gordon, my original 4 yr award is based on my un- reliability to function every morning before medication is working..
My error in all this is telling PIP that my medication is now stronger because conditions have deteriorated.
- I am unable to dress/ put shoes on for at least 3 hrs each morning due to locked hip and extreme pain..I can only put my feet into slippers without needing to bend..
Have resigned myself to having to fight this with MR & appeal... which means I will lose my current award...... for the time being!
- thanks Gordon for all your support:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.