× Members

Autism night time care DLA to PIP for 15 year old

More
4 years 3 months ago #242750 by ljm7
First time here, and looking for advice. My 15 year old has autism, with hyper mobility diagnosed age 7 and now severe OCD. He has, and still needs a huge amount of support and we have always had HRC and LRM DLA. He often has nights where his anxiety is sky high and it is only me (Mum) who can talk him down. This is way after 11pm and goes on for up to an hour, and often starts again with a rush to the toilet with IBS at 6am and more reassurance, again well before the household wakes. However, he is now on medication for anxiety (Citalopram) and sleep (Melatonin) and these are helping to improve his anxiety, certainly not a magical cure but sleep is improving overall. This is a recent improvement and I don’t know how long it will go on, and whether or when to inform DWP? He isn't 16 until Sept so we haven’t yet been written to about the transfer to PIP. If I inform DWP will his DLA stop altogether? And how would I then reapply with 8 months until his 16th birthday?

I’m asking advice as to what constitutes a change in need level, as it is the medication that is helping, as his overall anxiety is off the scale. He has not got less anxious himself.

I’m also concerned about the PIP transfer as there appears to be no question about night time care in terms of his anxiety.

Advice gratefully received, thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #242753 by BIS
Hi Ljm7

Only you can make this decision and I cannot advise you what to do on this.

If you contact the DWP now it will be a 'change of circumstances' and his entire reward will be reviewed.

You say yourself that there has been some improvement and yet you do not know how stable this improvement is and he continues to require a great deal of support. It may be that you want to wait until the transfer so you yourselves have a clearer picture of his needs and conditions. Many people choose to do this.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: ljm7

More
4 years 3 months ago #242754 by Becky
Ljm7, I'm a mere member of the forum but have a PIP award. I can recall a phone call last year with my 'benefits advisor' at the job centre regarding my claim and was advised (in my favour) not to stir the 'wasps nest'. Considering you do not know how long the benefits of your sons' medication will continue ...I would suggest you avoid 'prodding the wasps' nest' ;)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #242762 by Gordon
Becky

We cannot condone not reporting an improvement in a claimant's condition that might lead to a change of award.

ljm

You need to decide whether the change is permanent or is one that will have an effect for a reasonable period of time AND whether the change would result in a change of award. for example; if he no longer has care needs overnight then he would no longer be entitled to the Higher Rate of Care.

Gordon

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ljm7

More
4 years 3 months ago #242763 by ljm7
Thank you. He does still very much have overnight care needs as If his anxiety hasn’t been managed in the day, or for example he has mocks and early GCSEs coming up, I anticipate the nights to be very late and disturbed again. It’s hard to work out how sustained the change should be to advise DWP? A few weeks improvement or over a longer period? It literally is only a very recent improvement.

I have a feeling that he will struggle hugely in the next few months with exams. If I contact DWP to tell them, will they then ask me to do the whole form again? He would def more than qualify for MRC as he has huge needs throughout the day and these are well backed up by professional reports.

More
4 years 3 months ago #242764 by ljm7
Can I also ask what DWP would do with him being 16 in Sept? I’m assuming that they would suspend his DLA payments during the review? Or might they go straight for PIP even though he’s got another 8+ months until his 16th birthday? If it takes the usual 8 weeks then that will only be 6 months to go?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.