× Members

Success at MR stage/returning your Motability car

More
4 years 3 months ago #242885 by Jackie
Well, I never thought it would write this -but I have got my enhanced PIP and scored 12/12 on mobility following a MR. This is simply thanks to your advice and guidance on this site. I should say that I made my MR letter quite personal (adjusted the templates - keeping the suggested information) and I got it. I was preparing to use all of the PIP money to buy my motabilty car and I have a couple of tips: if you do have to buy the car make sure you get it serviced and get tyres changed BEFORE you make the purchase. This way the costs fall to Motability and not you (sounds obvious but I hadnt considered it before). Really think about re-joining the scheme automatically..... could you use your PIP to get a loan for a car and pay it off in 3 years? if so, this would take the worry about re-assessment away and losing the car again. Worth considering.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #242898 by Gordon
Jackie

That is terrific news, congratulations and a huge well done.

Gordon

Tags: @RESULT @PIP

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 3 months ago #242899 by BIS
Hi Jackie

Congratulations on your PIP award following an MR. Always good to adjust information where necessary.

BIS

Tags: @RESULT @PIP @MR

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 3 months ago #242925 by phrank
Hi Jackie,

Well done! It always cheers me up to read of successes. Great news.

More
4 years 3 months ago #242941 by Moof
Brilliant news – well done!

For anyone who's been on Motability, before making a decision about whether to buy a car yourself, it's worth getting an insurance quote first.

During the time you're with the scheme, you may have no insurance record unless you're named on someone else's policy. In some cases, people have been quoted the same premium as a newly qualified or young driver – this happened to my friend, who'd been driving for 38 years and whose only ever claim was a no-fault one 16 years previously. She had to go back to Motability in the end; she'd been with them for about five years, and this long gap in her record meant she couldn't get insurance on her own account for less than £2,100 per year (she'd previously paid about £150!). It would have helped if she'd been named on a partner's policy, but unfortunately she'd been widowed by then.

I don't use the scheme because it's pricey unless you need complex adaptations – I just drive an automatic van with a bog-standard wheelie ramp & tie-downs, and there are plenty of secondhand ones on sale. Many people really value the ease and security Motability offers, of course, but the potential hitch over insurance isn't always made clear.

More
4 years 3 months ago #242949 by Esme999
Congratulations on your award. Can I ask how long you have been awarded period wise? My dealership was quite good regards informing me that I should try and get the servicing and tyres attended to before purchasing the car which I have decided to do as I feel based on figures it is more cost effective taking everything into account including insurance and car maintenance.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.