× Members

UC & criminal compensation

More
4 years 2 months ago #243130 by layla
UC & criminal compensation was created by layla
Hi, I was just looking for a bit of advice please, I have received an offer from the criminal injuries authority and I am currently on UC. Will this amount if I accept it be taken from my UC? I receive the LCWRA element of 336,20. The letter says 0 deductions but not sure if that's because I did not have representation. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #243134 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic UC & criminal compensation
layla

I would expect any lump sum to be treated as capital and be subject to the normal rules for UC, If your total savings and assets exceed £6000 then your UC will be reduced and if they go over £16,000 then you will lose entitlement to your UC and also any Housing Benefit that you might receive.

You should get legal advice, it may still be possible to place the money in trust so that you avoid these issues.

Any regular payment will be treated as income and deducted from your UC £ for £.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: layla

More
4 years 2 months ago #243168 by JJ
Replied by JJ on topic UC & criminal compensation
Hi Layla.
My partner received a criminal injuries board award many years ago . He was able, through proper legal advise, to set up a criminal/personal injury trust fund, the lump sum was ring-fenced, which protected his means tested benefits . You need to choose the right solicitor to do this for you, as it is a particular field. But it is perfectly legally feasible as you received the award through an injury / damage so your benefits should be protected. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: layla

More
4 years 2 months ago #243177 by layla
Replied by layla on topic UC & criminal compensation
Hi Gordon, thanks for your reply, yes I got worried as I don't want to get onto trouble for not declaring everything so I bit the bullet and contacted UC. They have said as it is compensation for criminal injury then any payment will be disregarded. They said as the compensation is for myself then it will be disregarded. I don't exactly trust the UC lol so I asked for second opinion from the work coach on the message board and he confirmed it will be disregarded, jeez still not got full trust in them tho. The CICA did say if it was an award for loss of income which wasn't in my case then that would be deducted from certain benefits like esa and UC work related elements. It is terrible that there is zero trust in them and what they tell you :(

More
4 years 2 months ago #243221 by layla
Replied by layla on topic UC & criminal compensation
Hi JJ,

Thanks for your advice, I think I will definitely get a second opinion as I don't trust the UC response that it is all okay and it won't affect any benefits mmmm , ill look for a solicitor even to see whats what, Thanks Layla

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.