× Members

My wife is my carer

More
4 years 2 months ago #243176 by John Mac
My wife is my carer was created by John Mac
My wife who is 64 is my carer and on top of everything I originally have to get my PIP allowance I have now got incurable lung disease, I am on oxygen and started chemo all within last 14 month. My question is my wife is starting to suffer she has fallen a few times as she is having problems with her knee and she is looking after myself and her mother who lives with us who is nearly 90 yrs old. I know my wife is starting to get stressed about my health and her mothers as her mother keeps falling and needs looking after. My question is is it worth my wife applying for PIP as she only gets carers for myself not her mother and I can see her health is started to be effected by the strain. Many thanks John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243183 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic My wife is my carer
Hi John Mac

It is possible for someone to be a carer and be awarded PIP. During the PIP process, they will question how she is able to care for someone and how that affects her ability against the PIP criteria.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Mac

More
4 years 2 months ago #243198 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic My wife is my carer
Hi John Mac

On another point, does your wife's mother claim Attendance Allowance (AA)? The reason for my question is, if you are successful with your PIP application, (don't forget to look at our guides) then you may be eligible for a SDP.

It is always worth applying for PIP, most benefits what you get in one hand is taken away in the other, apart from DLA, PIP or AA.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.