× Members

local athority disabled facilitys grants

More
4 years 3 months ago #243228 by anne.young2
local athority disabled facilitys grants was created by anne.young2
Hello i am applying for a disabled facilities grant for the instalation of a down stairs toilet after my recent bowel cancer surgery, I am awaiting an assesment by occupational therapist to see if i qualify for a grant, im asking if any body has been sucessfull and what kinds of information i should offer the ot to help on my application.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Statham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #243233 by BIS
Hi Anne
This is beyond the scope of our forum, but I've posted it, in case any member has experience of this that they might want to share. Remember no one is an expert.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: anne.young2

More
4 years 3 months ago #243238 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic local athority disabled facilitys grants
Hi Anne

I have found a couple of links that may be useful;

www.disability-grants.org/disabled-facilities-grant.html

www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: anne.young2, Dan Statham, Angel

More
4 years 2 months ago #243311 by Mollie
Replied by Mollie on topic local athority disabled facilitys grants
We had a Disabled Facilities Grant last year to have a level access shower fitted. The OT came to the house to assess what facilities we already had and what problems we were having. We just explained all the issues we had using a standard bathroom. Don't be embarrassed by any problems you may have. Just tell them the facts and if you can how you would like to overcome any problems.
The OT agreed we needed the bathroom altering. The Council planned the bathroom and recommended a few approved contractors. We were able to get quotes off 2 of them and choose 1 to do the job.
I would say, do not be forced into having something that you do not feel is right for you. We rejected the Council's plan and planned our own bathroom which they approved. I did feel that we had to stand up for ourselves as we knew what would work for us and it did take a lot longer than anticipated. I hope this helps and good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Catherine, Gary, Dan Statham

More
4 years 2 months ago #243348 by Dan Statham
Replied by Dan Statham on topic local athority disabled facilitys grants
Hi Anne,

The OT part is usually the easy bit, don't worry too much - they are usually very friendly and will help suggest more things that the grant could cover, if successful! Also (my OTs were quite expert) they knew my difficulties very well, and knew what issues needed to be put down on the forms.

Be warned that there is usually quite a high turnover of OT staff, so it's worth keep chasing them at the council in case it's sitting in the next OT's inbox when they inevitably take over. Similarly, once it gets to your landlord (?) it's a good idea to keep chasing them until they send a surveyor round. At all times it will get "lost" in a back room if you don't keep prodding people with sticks. Even so, it does take a looooong time, there are over 1000 DFG waiting more than a year in my area! Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anne.young2, Gary

More
2 years 8 months ago #262901 by anne.young2
Replied by anne.young2 on topic local athority disabled facilitys grants
I did get my downstairs toilet fitted on DFG , they fitted a gerabit toilet and suggested hand rails and a few other adaptations. The local authority did an in house installation and i must say I am very happy with the results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Catherine

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.