× Members

inheritance

More
4 years 3 months ago #243265 by simon
inheritance was created by simon
When do l inform the dwp as am on esa support group. l have inherited money? l have not received any of it yet so l have no money in bank account, my solicitor has bought me a house. But as yet l have no money So do l one tell them on 26/02/20 when l sign for the house or wait til l move in 05/01/2020 with my partner due to changes in my living arrangements Am very confused and do not wish to break the law. l will repeat l have no money paid to me and l inherited £60,000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #243284 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic inheritance
simon

First of all, if you are only receiving Contribution Based ESA then there are no capital limits and the inheritance will not affect your ESA.

If you are receiving any Income Related ESA then it might.

It is not when you receive the money but rather when you have control of it, when you are able to dispose of the money.

Your post talks about your solicitor buying you a house, this implies that you already have control of the money unless there is information that you have omitted.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 3 months ago #243287 by simon
Replied by simon on topic inheritance
I am on the contributory, I don't have control of the money as it has not yet been distributed between me and my brothers and sisters, the solicitor took the money out of the estate to pay, so at the moment only they have access. I bit the bullet and called the DWP today, the man on the phone didn't seem to bothered by the house sale or the inheritance and the fact l would be moving in with my partner Infact he stated l would get £200 odd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.