× Members

Washing machine question?

More
4 years 2 months ago #243316 by Anne Lee
Washing machine question? was created by Anne Lee
I have autism and many other problems with anxiety made worse by having sanctions at the Job centre because I was unable to attend the work programmes.
I'm going for an ESA assessment tomorrow and I read that they ask if you can use a washing machine, and if you say yes then you get 0 points.
Can somebody please explain to me what difficulties anybody has with using a washing machine, as I thought even the most disabled person can use one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243317 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Washing machine question?
Hi Anne

There are a number problems that may hinder or prevent someone from being able to use a washing machine. The examples below are not an exhaustive list.

Visual impairment, lack of manual dexterity due to a condition like osteoarthritis, back problems,, cognitive problems which make it difficult to select the appropriate problem, injury ...etc etc.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 2 months ago #243337 by annie-rose
Replied by annie-rose on topic Washing machine question?
Hi Anne,

(I'm not an official adviser but I think I know the answer.)

Is this for ESA/ Universal Credit? If so, it probably falls under the descriptor 'Learning how to do tasks' (because obviously you had to learn multiple steps involved in running the machine- selecting the cycle, putting the detergent in the correct area etc.- which would be difficult if you had a learning disability or dementia) mostly but the question could also be used to work out what other difficulties you have (e.g with pain, mobility, concentration etc., all of which could affect your use of the washing machine).

If you don't have difficulty using the washing machine but it took you a very long time to learn how to do it; if it takes you much longer each time you use it or you experience difficulty in any way then do tell the assessor.

If you don't have a problem with the washing machine but do have problems with other tasks then make sure you tell them. Or perhaps you learnt how to run the washing machine by being shown multiple times by your parents but you could not learn a task of similar complexity (e.g. operating a shop till) if shown by a stranger/work supervisor because you would feel overwhelming anxiety (due to your Autism) and be unable to concentrate on the task in hand.

Basically if it's ESA/UC then if you can do basic tasks they might decide that you can do a basic manual job too. If this isn't the case then you need to explain your difficulties- state everything as clearly as possible.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243343 by Anisty
Replied by Anisty on topic Washing machine question?
Hi anne,

I am not an official advisor either but act as appointee for my son who has autism and learning difficulties.

When i first saw the question, i was thinking 'how is setting a washing machine any more complex than an alarm clock? Surely you just turn a dial and press start!"

But if you think about it the entire process of loading a machine, selecting the correct programme and unloading again at the end is more complex.

So with my son

- he doesnt recognise when things are dirty. He wouldnt understand why you would want a hot programme for some clothes, whereas other fabrics and light soiling need a low temp.

- sorting the washing, emptying pockets, loading the right amount of clothing.

All a problem for my boy.

He would stick to the same sequence each time. If we showed him how to start a 60 degree programme and told him put socks in on 60, we would likely find one pair of socks in there going through a full wash cycle on their own.

Then there's things like what if the machine fails to work. My boy would not be able to turn to the trouble shooting guide and know how to sort a simple problem using the manuel.

Equally, if the machine started and was making a dreadful noise due to him having put a shoe in there or it was just way off balance, he wouldnt address that by turning off and draining it.

It's all the variables that can cause a problem.

Sometimes washing finishes and it needs an extra spin. My boy wouldnt be able to determine that and select the programme - all this would take so long to teach.

So i think there is more to being able to operate a washing machine than just selecting 60 and pressing start!

More
4 years 2 months ago #243344 by Becky
Replied by Becky on topic Washing machine question?
People who are visually impaired can struggle to use washing machines. Its not impossible though if you use braille or coloured dots to mark programmes. Even if you can use a washing machine you may be found unfit for work on other grounds.
Im in the support group because I'm visually impaired and have walking difficulties due to multiple sclerosis, but I still manage to use a washing machine.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
4 years 2 months ago #243353 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Washing machine question?
Hi all

Just to clarify.

For ESA you can only score points for questions 1-10 where the underlying cause of your limitations is a physical condition and for questions 11-17 it has to be a mental health or cognitive problem.

Learning Tasks and the "washing machine" test comes under the latter.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Anisty

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.