× Members

DLA to PIP

More
4 years 2 months ago #243370 by Wiggy56
DLA to PIP was created by Wiggy56
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :angry: :woohoo: :woohoo: Well they caught up with us, and moved my wife from DLA to PIP. Thank goodness I had something to follow using your guides, even then I found the forms were ridiculously hard there would no way my wife could have filled in the form at 69, with physical and mental health issues.
I backed up everything with GP statement and hospital letters. It came to a home visit , that person was very polite, but her statement was different, because my wife due to pain was unable to do the physical test that knocked points. I had the appeal on which I challenged items mentioned and got back her mobility allowance, but it still got reduced and from what was a lifetime to 2 years.
My wife didn’t want me to go any further as it did put some real stress on her ( it didn’t do me much good either) so in looking ahead I’m wondering where to go for help and other than citizens advice I think stand a chance of being a little on the side of DWP because of their funding, is there a professional someone who ok for a fee basically hold your hand with this. I have looked and I find that if you are with a housing association they have staff in place for tenants if you don’t good luck in finding the old style welfare rights person who helped with it all including going to appeals.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243371 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic DLA to PIP
Hi Stephen

As your wife is 69 next time round she will be subject to a light touch review and as she is over 65 is unlikely to be re-assessed at all.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wiggy56

More
4 years 2 months ago #243378 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic DLA to PIP
Hi Stephen

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

In your post you state ' I had the appeal on which I challenged items mentioned and got back her mobility allowance, but it still got reduced and from what was a lifetime to 2 years.' was this an appeal at a Tribunal or was it a Mandatory Reconsideration?

If it is the latter then the first thing you need to do is contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report ( if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing). Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

What you have to remember is that DLA descriptors are different to PIP. PIP is a lot more stricter especially the mobility component.

You need to make sure that whatever is included is relevant to the PIP criteria and you need to say why it is. Again the way DLA was awarded is different from how PIP is.

PIP was engineered to be a more difficult to award than DLA, many DLA claimants will receive vastly reduced awards or even no award at all on transfer.

DLA looks at generic care needs in regard to bodily functions, PIP looks at the claimants specific ability to carry out an activity such as eating. DLA was awarded because the claimant needed an amount of care (in time) during the day, the night of both, to help them with that bodily function. PIP looks at the claimant's ability to complete specific tasks within the activity and is points-based, these are clearly defined and it is easy not to score points because the claimant has not shown that they meet those specific criteria.

DLA treated the use of aids as a reason to reduce the amount of care needed, PIP trea[/quote]ts aids as an indication of disability and in general they score extra points.

DLA's care need was reasonably generic, PIP treats prompting, assistance and supervision as different activities and as a result, they can score different points.

DLA required that the care was required for the majority of the time, for PIP it is the majority of days.

For PIP activities must be completed reliably, this means

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

Although DLA considers these terms, they are poorly defined as they are implemented through Case Law rather than being defined in the legislation as they are for PIP.

Referring to any more recent evidence you have is more useful.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wiggy56

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.