× Members

Refused PIp as i drive a manual car

More
4 years 2 months ago #243399 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Refused PIp as i drive a manual car
Hi Imc77

You will need to go back through each point at a time. The driving issue does come up for many people.

If you have said that you suffer extreme pain in your knees, they are simply going to question how you can operate, the brake and accelerator on the car and drive safely and assume that though you might be in pain you are able to supply sufficient pressure.

You said that you didn't score any points at all. In terms of preparing the food, they will look to see what adjustments you have made - in your case you sit, rather than stand. You then need to look at how safely you are able to cook, can you do it reliably and is the length of time it takes - the same as someone without your condition. You need to show that it is substantially different.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243403 by lmc77
Replied by lmc77 on topic Refused PIp as i drive a manual car
Thank you for all the responses. I will await the decision letter and take it forward.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243408 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Refused PIp as i drive a manual car
Hi Imc77

You don't have to wait for the decision letter. You could write to the Decision Maker now and refute what has been said. You only have a small window to do this if you want to.

BS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 2 months ago #243421 by SUE C C
Replied by SUE C C on topic Refused PIp as i drive a manual car
Hello Imc77 welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if this applies to you, but do you use any sort of aids to mitigate your situation, or do you rely on static, household furniture etc to aid your mobility and balance both at home and work?

I am in the process of transitioning from Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to PIP and as the B&W Moderators have explained, the descriptors for PIP make it a much more difficult benefit to be awarded than DLA was. I too had my Face to Face (F2F) assessment recently and I also had what I thought was a pleasant enough Disability Assessor from CAPITA. However, when I read the assessor's report, I too was disappointed at what they had written. I am now waiting for the DWP Decision Makers to make their decision.

If you're anything like myself and other folks who are less able, we generally get on with our daily lives as best we can while not really thinking about how we manage to do it, even to the point that we may make light of our psychological &/or physical restrictions. It took me 3 years and several welfare officers to convince me that I did in fact qualify for DLA. So if you are able to think about your daily life and how you manage to do the PIP activities, as described in the descriptors, are you able to clarify further how/what it is you actually do to be able to complete the PIP activities as per the descriptors?

The B&W moderators are really very good and will help with every aspect of applying for PIP, no question is too difficult. I wish you well as you progress through your benefit application Imc77

Sue

More
4 years 2 months ago #243440 by lmc77
Thanks for the reply and kind words. I use a raised toilet seat grab rails have a wet room installed use a seat to shower, I use an aid to put my sock on because of the pain in my knee, I use long handled loofa type things in the shower, I have a walking stick supplied by physio that I am still attending all of this was noted in the report. I can’t get my head around the logic of the being able to drive a manual car meaning a must be able to do all of the tasks they assess pain free.
Using this logic all cars that are paid for by pip and driven by the claimant must all be adapted to have hand controls ??? We all know that’s not the case

More
4 years 2 months ago #243548 by lmc77
Thanks for all the replies,im looking for some advice whilst I compose the MR.

Can someone advise me what the assesor means when they state "Despite significant restrictions stated medication and observations" is this them saying they have observed the issues themselves?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.