× Members

What now? Failed pip assessment.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243872 by dinkmack
What now? Failed pip assessment. was created by dinkmack
Hi, I got 0 points for all descriptors. The hp that saw me repeated herself throughout the assessment report. The main thing was how I didn't take medication and my GP has never referred me to a mental health professional. The other thing I noticed was they looked at my first pip forms and not what I included with my ar1 form. The first time I claimed for pip was 2016 and I forgot to save a copy of my form after I completed it. It was so long ago that I couldn't remember what I had written on my old form. I took the advice of the pip guide and when I completed the ar1 form I included everything about my my mental health condition and how it affects me. I even included a letter from my partner as supporting evidence. I received the assessment report today and the list of evidence that was considered was my pip consultation report date dated 18/11/2015 and ar1 questionnaire dated 13/12/2016. I'm just wondering why they didn't take in to consideration the new form I completed. I'm going to ask for a mandatory reconsideration and appeal if I need to.
I feel so sick with worry at the moment. I've lost standard daily living and my partner lost her carers. We're loving on the bread line at the moment.

We'll keep getting income support until April but that isn't much. Can I claim anything else while I'm appealing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #243879 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic What now? Failed pip assessment.
Hi dinkmack

Unfortunately we hear your story quite often on the forum and I have seen many clients who have been given zero points at both assessments and MR only to be awarded enhanced at appeals so don't be disheartened. If you can get the decision overturned on a MR then it will be much quicker as appeals can take anywhere between 35 weeks to over 60 weeks before they are listed. There is a wide variation in appeal times across the regions.

With regards to claiming other benefits, you can check by putting your information into one of the online benefit calculators.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Remember that if you apply for Universal Credit then you will not be able to go back onto legacy benefits even if you win your appeal/MR.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help, check out our guides for MR/Appeal.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Gary.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243997 by dinkmack
Replied by dinkmack on topic What now? Failed pip assessment.
Thank you. I was told to get a copy of my medical report to support my appeal but I haven't gone to my doctor that often about my mental health. I get so anxious about going to see him that I try and avoid it. Will this go against me? Also my assessment report didn't take in to account the information on my new form. I wrote my form out differently this time because I felt I had a better understanding of what I needed to say but the assessor said they based their decision on my old form. Can I mention this in my mandatory reconsideration and should I make the point of including the new form again?

More
4 years 2 months ago #243999 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic What now? Failed pip assessment.
Hi dinkmack

With no medical back up, no medication and no letter of support from a GP - then yes you will struggle. You say that you have avoided contact with your GP, but your best chance is to access your medical records and see what evidence there is which can back up your claim. Then you need to explain why you have had little contact with your GP and why you don't take any medication to help manage your condition. (Medication is not compulsory - but they will be looking to understand why you don't take it and you would need to explain.) The DWP is often only interested in evidence is three years old, but if you have had long-standing problems and can show it - that will help.

I know you don't want to hear this now - but make sure that you always keep a copy of any dealings with the DWP. As you are finding it's hard to recall things that are now four years old.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: dinkmack

More
4 years 1 month ago #244800 by dinkmack
Replied by dinkmack on topic What now? Failed pip assessment.
Hi,

I've only got a few days to request a mandatory reconsideration. I wanted to know is it ok to send a letter requesting the reconsideration and then send the supporting evidence at a later date?

Thanks for any help.

More
4 years 1 month ago #244814 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic What now? Failed pip assessment.
dinkmack

Yes, you can.

Make sure that you tell the DWP that you will be doing this in your request, they should give you an additional 28 days to provide the information although this includes postage time, you should confirm that the time has been allotted by contacting the DWP after the MR has been requested.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: dinkmack

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.