× Members

Distances PIP.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243917 by tia
Distances PIP. was created by tia
PIP has said I can walk 50m but no more than 200m. If your nearest bus stop is further to this measurement then how are you expected to get anywhere?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #243922 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Distances PIP.
Hi tia

When they say you can walk 50m but no futher than 200m, they are saying that you need to stop and rest before continuing your journey, this is based on the information you gave them in your claims form or at an assessment.

The answer to your question would be to use either taxi's or friends/relatives for lifts.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: tia

More
4 years 2 months ago #243924 by tia
Replied by tia on topic Distances PIP.
Sorry to be pedantic but surely the" Personal Independence" bit is that you are able to do so with out asking anyone, or extra for costs of taxi's?. I am awaiting my statement of reasons from tribunal. I had someone from the DWP there. Which made me very paranoid! And although I said the distances I could walk, without have an asthma attack this distance awarded is not reflective of the truth.
Many thanks for ALL the hard work you do, it really is appreciated!

More
4 years 2 months ago #243927 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Distances PIP.
Hi tia

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

Things to think about

You are not required to walk pain free but any pain that restricts the distance that you can walk should be taken into account.

Specifically for the Moving Around activity, if you are able to walk but in severe pain when doing so, then you can argue that walking is not to a necessary standard and should be disregarded.

The legal test requires you to stand and then move (walk), so if you have problems getting up then you should argue these as well.

If you walk slowly then it must take you at least twice the time to cover the distance as a healthy person would, this could be down to the speed of your walking but could also be the result of you having to stop.

You must be able to repeat the distance, so if you could walk it once but not then be able to walk
it again within a reasonable timescale then you should be classed as unable to repeat the activity.

I have come across more and more presenting officers for the DWP at Tribunals, although they are still quite rare, they will go over your appeal and pick up on any discrepancies.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.