× Members

UC unable to attend jobcentre

More
4 years 2 months ago #243975 by Sassykins
UC unable to attend jobcentre was created by Sassykins
I would be most grateful for any help and advice. My son has severe anxiety and social anxiety and is unable to cope with face to face interview, at home or jobcentre, talking on the phone is also difficult. We have new letter from Doctor supporting this and a fit note. Can you please advise if it is possible to open a UC claim and how to do. I have had conflicting information from Citizens advice. I understand it is done online, which I would be doing for him as he finds it very stressful, I am then unsure how to proceed. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. He receives pip higher rates for both and had paper based assessment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #244011 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic UC unable to attend jobcentre
Hi M O

It is easy to open a claim for UC as it is done online and you can verify his identity online but this may be difficult unless he has a passport and bank cards, usually you need 3 forms of id to verify your identity. Another problem starts when you have to arrange an appointment to see a workcoach, if you do not do it within a certain time frame the claim will be cancelled.

Are you his appointee? If not, being his representative is not the same and attending appointments on his behalf may not be possible.

A PIP claim doesn't automatically give a person LCWRA.(UC support group)

I would phoned the DWP or your job center to find out what their policy is regarding claimants who are not able to attend such places or interviews because of their mental health problems, this would at least let you know where you stand.

Universal Credit helpline
Telephone: 0800 328 5644
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
www.gov.uk/universal-credit

Does he have a psychiatrist or CPN, if he does then a good supporting letter may help as well as his doctors letter.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sassykins

More
4 years 2 months ago #244041 by Sassykins
Replied by Sassykins on topic UC unable to attend jobcentre
Thank you Gary.

I am not his appointee which I am happy to be, dont the DWP have to visit him for this, which will cause distress, he has been hospitalised twice.

More
4 years 2 months ago #244058 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic UC unable to attend jobcentre
Hi M O

You can apply for the right to deal with the benefits of someone who cannot manage their own affairs because they’re mentally incapable or severely disabled.

- DWP arranges to visit the claimant to assess if an appointee is needed.
- DWP interviews you to make sure you’re a suitable appointee.
- During the interview, you and the interviewer fill out an appointee application form (Form BF56)
- If DWP agrees with the application you’ll be sent Form BF57 (confirming you’ve been formally appointed to act for the claimant). You’re not the appointee until this happens.

Once you’re authorised, DWP will monitor the situation to make sure it’s still suitable for you and the claimant.

Check the following information below

www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jo2468, Sassykins

More
4 years 2 months ago #244069 by Jo2468
Replied by Jo2468 on topic UC unable to attend jobcentre
HI M O

I was in the same position as you. I requested with a covering letter that my PIP dealt with my husband as an appointee. Needless to say, they insisted on my speaking to them myself, despite the request.

The DWP told my husband that an appointee was not needed and that all he needed to do is give them his mobile number and registered his details of him as my representative. They won't after giving that information 'text' updates. They did however send him a letter stating they had all the information required to deal with my claim. Three months it took to get him as my representative, when he rings (which isn't often) they go through absolutely every detail of me to make sure my husband knows everything,

Contact the DWP, because my request for my husband to be an Appointee was ignored for months. The DWP do have an easier way but you have to fight for it. My husband now contacts them and doesn't have to go through the constant hoops, they classify him as my representative not an appointee, they didn't even ask my permission to do so.

I wish you well and hope you achieve what you aim for. There are so many conflicting outcomes to your query and I give you my experience (which has never been a good experience with the DWP) in the hope that they allow you to have a similar system in place for communicating and dealing with them.

Good luck and best wishes

Xxxxx

More
4 years 2 months ago #244086 by Sassykins
Replied by Sassykins on topic UC unable to attend jobcentre
Hi Jo2468

Thank you for your reply and kind words.

MO. X

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.