× Members

Any f2f success stories for daily care + question

More
4 years 2 months ago #244026 by nj1990
Hi

I have my first PIP appointment coming up and I have been using the guides to prepare. I have never had an assessment before and would like to prepare to the best of my ability. I have always had paper assessments but I feel the fact that I mentioned I receive DSA support at uni has triggered a f2f. I read that there are informal observations from the moment I step foot in the centre which is making me worry about my assessment. I currently receive standard daily living and nothing else and by looking at me I look completely healthy. I could be breatheless but that’s it! All of my pain and symptoms are internal. I would feel dizzy and fainty and have throbbing pain but it will not show. I have arthritis and I have never had redness swelling on my hands but my pain would be so intense that I wouldn’t be able to lift my duvet off me in the morning. I am extremely worried about the assessment and I feel like I am going to fail as I don’t use walking aid nor is my condition visible. I need help with dressing up, cooking and showering and this still stands but besides that I am fairly independent. I would be grateful if any of you with invisible disabilities on standard care and no mobility can share their success story with f2f.

Also, if I manage to complete physio exercises without sounding in pain or breatheless does that mean I will be rejected? My condition is complex as I don’t feel immediate pain but the pain develops after I complete the activity. I can’t bend to anywhere above my knee and I am able to move my upper half. I would be able to stand on one leg but the pain will not hit me until I relax my body and sit down. I always get this with climbing stairs I would be fine going up but as soon I get all the way there I feel fainty, get sharp pain and become breathless. I would try to breathe slowly to regulate my breathing but I assume that wouldn’t be enough of a physical indicator of my pain.

Apologies for the information overload.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #244028 by Gary
Hi nj1990

Check out our guides on What happens at a face to face medical assessment and Questions you may be asked at your medical assessment. If you cannot do a task due to pain, then don't do it, politely explain why you cannot do it.

Take your time when answering any questions and make sure you give a full answer to each question and not be lead by the assessor.

If your condition varies day to day then I would start by using different terminology, for example; "at my worst, on average, at best" and then for each of these explain how long you are affected in this way, don't use percentages rather days, weeks. etc., the legal test is the majority of days.

Then, how you are affected? It may be that even at your best you cannot complete an activity.

Remember, you must be able to complete the activities "reliably", this means

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

Don't assume that those looking at your claim will make the connections that you would expect, if you cannot do something explain why in detail and if the same problem affects your ability to complete multiple activities then explain it for each.

If you can't do an activity explain why, so why are you unable to cook? Break it down into the components, so preparing the ingredients versus cooking them, selecting the ingredients versus cutting and chopping. You need to explain why suitable aids will not help you complete the activity and why assistance or supervision also will not help.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 2 months ago #244030 by Becky
Hi nj1990

Have you supplied the DWP with any medical evidence of your condition/s? as I found that really helps. My assessment was more question based, the physical part of it was minimal. If you have any new medical evidence since you applied then take that with you. If the assessor asks you to do something that you know will cause you pain then explain it to them. I have a visibly deformed knee due to osteoarthritis and the assessor made note of that and barely touched it. I was only asked how far I could straighten it. I was awarded both care and mobility. in part for arthritis and also because I have ms.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 2 months ago #244151 by nj1990
Gary,

Thank you very much for clarifying this, I have a better understanding of what I need to do now. I heard that the physical examination will involve me putting my arms behind my back but funnily enough this is the position I take when I feel arthritis pain in my shoulder and chest. Would that go against me? or in other words does qualifying for PIP require that you 'struggle' to do all of the MSK examination? e.g. folding my arms across the chest eases my pain actually but it does not really say that I can carry pans and pots without pain or that I can wash my hair without aid. Doing this exercise for one or two seconds does mean I can proceed to wash my hair for 5 minutes everyday if that makes sense? apologies for the rant.

More
4 years 2 months ago #244153 by nj1990
Hello Becky,

I supplied a hospital letter, GP letter and medical assessment report from DSA so hopefully that reduces the duration of the assessment Glad that your assessor was understanding and that you receive your award! Unfortunately you don't always hear of good assessment experiences on the forum.

Thank you so much for your advice!

More
4 years 2 months ago #244155 by Gary
Hi nj1990

You need to explain how pain affects you and what you have to do to try and alleviate the pain. The problem with pain is that it affects people differently, I spoke to a lady last week who informed me that she is in constant pain since childhood and has got use to it so when she talks of pain, for other people it would be severe pain.

If you cannot do the MSK examination then explain why you can not do it.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.