× Members

Completing Volwork1JP 10/12 in ESA Support Group

• davidroberts858@btinternet.com
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 months ago #244188 by davidroberts858@btinternet.com
Completing Volwork1JP 10/12 in ESA Support Group was created by davidroberts858@btinternet.com
My adult son is autistic and is in the ESA Support Group. As part of his therapy for coping with OCD and anxiety, his mental health nurse has recommended he tries out a small amount of voluntary work (one or two afternoons per week). He is worried about putting the "wrong" answer down to a couple of questions on the DWP Volwork form in case it is thought he is capable of work (which, at his stage in his life, he isn't, as previous attempts at work have made him very ill). The questions are:- "Will you get anything out of the volunteering which will help you find paid work? Y/N" and "How will this activity help you with your job search?". We'd be grateful for any suggested advice. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #244191 by Gordon
David

I would be more concerned about whether his doing the voluntary work suggests that he no longer meets the criteria on which his SG award is based, as an example; if he qualified under the Substantial Risk rules, then doing the voluntary work would argue against him still meeting this criteria.

Also, does this indicate an improvement in his limitations that would need to be reported to the DWP and would almost certainly result in a reassessment of his claim.

I realise that the voluntary work may be a major step in his treatment but the rules for ESA are often applied blindly by the DWP and you need to consider this.

As to the questions, just answer them as you think applicable, you don't need to make a positive statement.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• davidroberts858@btinternet.com
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 2 months ago #244296 by davidroberts858@btinternet.com
Replied by davidroberts858@btinternet.com on topic Completing Volwork1JP 10/12 in ESA Support Group
Thank you for your reply, Gordon. The Decision Maker's reasons at my son's last reassessment four years ago were: "Claimant meets criteria for being awarded 15 points under Schedule 2 descriptor 13(a); and meets the descriptor 11 under schedule 3 because the claimant cannot, due to impaired mental function, reliably initiate or complete at least 2 sequential personal actions. I agree with the recommendation of Support Group by the HCP."
Whenever he has tried to work or engage in work experience in the past, each time the daily commitment required made him ill and his GP advised him to stop. The voluntary work now being offered to him involves no commitment on my son's part. If he's not up to going in for a session (because of his anxiety and IBS) he's been told by the charity concerned that is OK - they just ask that he phones in on the day concerned.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.