× Members

PIP - Mental health Planning and following journey

More
4 years 2 months ago #244212 by redredwall
Hi

Once again I've probably left it too late as my f2f is this afternoon. I suppose I could use this as evidence of my inability to manage a health condition!

I suffer with severe depression, anxiety and am on the autistic spectrum.

I was awarded the standard rate last time but 0 on mobility. I asked for a MR but this was refused and I didn't have it in me to take it to a full appeal.

I struggle to leave the house on my own and will simply not go anywhere unless there is someone to physically force me to leave the house.

Despite communicating this as best I can in the f2f I still scored 0 on the Planning and following journeys. I suspect this is because I attended the interview alone (my parents took me but waited in the car park, as I would hate for them to see me struggle and get upset in the interview and the whole thing is too demeaning).

I have read the guides thoroughly but am struggling to understand how I can emphasise how much I struggle with this descriptor. Is it impossible to score 12 points on this with mental health issues?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #244222 by BIS
Hi Redredwall

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

I can't tell you which you should score for, because you know you're condition, and I'm not an assessor but the one most likely to apply from what you said is undertaking a journey.

You could still put in for an appeal although you will have to say why you didn't do it immediately - but that's fine - that will be because of poor mental health. You could then ask for a paper-based decision which might alleviate some of the stress.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: redredwall

More
4 years 2 months ago #244234 by jim555
Hi, you should appeal the decision if you feel you should qualify. From how you describe your mobility difficulties and your mental health an award of 0 points does not seem justified. Do you have a GP or mental health therapist who could provide a letter of support for you? The DWP should be fairly reviewing and assessing claimants based on mental health and mobility difficulties but low and behold even after the changes to pip law they try their upmost to dismiss all connections or relevance. You know inside you if it is an injustice, I hope you have the strength and support to pursue an appeal. I am doing exactly that at present. Good luck and ask any questions you may have along the way. This site and people are very good.

More
4 years 2 months ago #244235 by jim555
If you ring DWP on Wednesday next week and request a copy of your assessment report, you should have a good idea as to how they viewed by our mobility difficulties. If it doesn't read good, get preparing your MR/ appeal

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.