× Members

ESA free prescriptions support group

More
4 years 2 months ago #244247 by jim555
ESA free prescriptions support group was created by jim555
Hi, am I correct in believing that if a claimant is in the support group that their ESA is contribution based only? I understand a income related top up can be applied... So if it is, is the ESA contribution based still this support group or does it become wholely income related due to the top up? Or is it possible to have an ESA which is both? In which case how is it described particularly in respect to free prescription entitlement.
So if one is in the support group, thus on contribution based ESA.. are they not entitled to free prescriptions? Seems rather stupid to me..

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #244259 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA free prescriptions support group
Jim

To be entitled to free prescriptions, etc, as a result of your ESA alone then you need to be receiving Income Related ESA, this can be paid in whole, no entitlement to Contribution Based ESA or you can receive ESA(IR) as a top-up to an ESA(CB) award. It depends on your personal circumstance.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 2 months ago #244262 by jim555
Replied by jim555 on topic ESA free prescriptions support group
So can someone be on income related ESA whilst being in the support group? I thought that if one was in the support group they automatically get out onto contribution based? The connection I'm trying o make here is that if everyone in the support group gets put on contribution based then it takes away there entitlement to free prescriptions?? Just seems very discriminative opposed to others on ESA less severe group potentially accessing the free prescriptions when they may be slightly less in need of benefitting from free prescriptions?

The other point I was trying to make is, if you are on contribution based and told you are on that because you are in the support group. But then get an income related top up payment... Is the claimant in receipt of contribution based ESA or are they in receipt of income based ESA? Per say?? Officially? Or can a claimant officially be on receipt of both. Carers say I have contribution based ESA with income related top up because I'm in the support group. To my knowledge of was on contribution based for the first 12 months then got moved to income related.. now many years later apparently I'm not on income based ESA?? Baffling! Can anyone shed any light on my confusion please? Thanks

More
4 years 2 months ago #244263 by jim555
So by having the income related top up with my existing contribution based, am I still on contribution based ESA or does it get overrided and get classed as income related ESA entitlement?

More
4 years 2 months ago #244265 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA free prescriptions support group
Jim

Being in the SG and the type of ESA you receive are totally separate things, you are in the SG because you met the criteria to be awarded it, you can be placed in the SG if you are receiving ESA(CB), ESA(IR) or a combination of the two.

As I said in my previous post, eligibility for free prescriptions is determined by your being entitled to ESA(IR) not what group you are in. If you are receiving ESA(IR), even if it is only 1p then you are entitled to free prescriptions.

It sounds like you were originally in the WRAG having been eligible for ESA via your NI Contributions, the WRAG rate for ESA(IR) is the same as that for ESA(CB) so there is no ESA(IR) payable and no entitlement free prescriptions, in the SG claimants are also entitled to the Enhanced Disability Premium which shows as "Disability Income Guarantee" on an ESA Entitlement Letter. If your circumstances allow it this would result in your receiving an ESA(IR) top-up to your ESA(CB).

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 2 months ago #244267 by jim555
Thanks Gordon, I wonder if because my partner who is my career is on my ESA that turns it into contribution based ESA?? Or I am in fact on income related ESA all along! Not simple to work out and my breakdown summary of ESA states a income related amount and no mention of contribution based, Do ESA even specify on letters that your ESA is contribution based after years down the line? Really not simple to understand!! I would assume I'm income related due to not working or paying any tax but the only explanation could be my partner being my carer on my claim. One confusing system

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.