× Members

Moving in with partner

More
4 years 1 month ago #244274 by Seebaw
Moving in with partner was created by Seebaw
Hi all, I'm usually ok sorting out my benefits with the help of this site but I have a big change coming up and it's making me ill with anxiety.

I currently receive PIP and ESA (support group). Because I was migrated from DLA/Income Support to PIP I still get the Severe Disability Premium also.

My partner works full time and qualifies for tax credits but doesn't get any money - award £0. She doesn't earn a great deal.

Can anyone advise me on what will happen to my claim when I move in with my partner. I am moving to a UC Live area (I think) but I believe that because I get the SDP payment they shouldn't migrate me to UC.

I'm really confused as to what will happen to my claim - will it all go over to UC or will it end because my partner works? I won't need to claim housing benefit so that's a bonus.

If anyone has any info or has been in this position it would be handy to know if I should be doing anything now or what I'm letting myself in for - move is in two weeks time.

Thanks for your replies!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #244279 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Moving in with partner
Hi Seebaw

Before we can begin to answer your question we would need to know what type of ESA are you receiving, CB or IR.

Contribution Based ESA is based on your NI Contribution history.

Income Related ESA is ESA(IR) is dependant on your household income, your savings and assets, and any hours that your partner works.

I would advise you to seek face to face help from a benefit adviser. You can check by putting your information into one of the online benefit calculators. I usually use Turn2us.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 1 month ago #244283 by Seebaw
Replied by Seebaw on topic Moving in with partner
Thanks for replying Gary.

I get both contributory and income related ESA.

I have only ever claimed as a single person before so I have no experience of claiming as a couple as I would have to when I move in with my partner.

Any advice welcome!

More
4 years 1 month ago #244286 by Gary
Hi Seebaw

You state that you get contribution based ESA, in which case that should stay the same. As you are in the support group, CB ESA will not stop unless you fail your next assessment or you reach SP age.

The main problem will be the IR ESA part of your benefit (SDP) as stated earlier Income Related ESA ESA(IR) is dependant on your household income, your savings and assets, and any hours that your partner works, which is why you will better off seeing a benefit adviser.

If you are not able to use the benefit calculator below then contact Turn2us on their advice line telephone number: 0808 802 2000. Make sure you have all you information to hand such as benefit entitlements and partners income and benefits.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 1 month ago #244288 by Seebaw
Replied by Seebaw on topic Moving in with partner
Thanks for the reply Gary - very helpful.

As you'll appreciate moving in with my partner creates to many variables to be able to use the Turn2us calculator. The calculator is geared up to making a new claim. I wasn't aware I could phone Turn2us so I will give that a try, many thanks :-)

More
4 years 1 month ago #244293 by Gary
Hi Seebaw

I quite often use Turn2us as a better off calculator, if you put in your basic information then save it you will then be able to change details such as 'what if my partner moved in', then add their details and at the end when you have gone through all the tabs you will get a summary. As long as you are accurate with the information you put in, the information you get out will be quite accurate. It does not do calculation for those who are self employed.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.