× Members

Entitlement to Care's Allowance

More
4 years 2 months ago #244305 by Susie
Entitlement to Care's Allowance was created by Susie
My husband is in the Support Group on income related ESA. I am included on his claim as I am also disabled and in receipt of DLA. He receives PIP - enhanced care and standard mobility. He is due for his ESA assessment very soon and obviously very fearful although it is being carried out at home. He has mental health and physical difficulties and receives a huge amount of encouragement and verbal supervision from me over a 24 hour period. Whilst trawling the internet for information about the Work Related Activity group, I read a number of articles about Carer 's Allowance. If I applied for Carer's Allowance, provided I didn't undertake any activities to help him which would compromise the terms of my DLA award, would I in your opinion be successful in claiming and what other premiums would it affect? He has only just been awarded enhanced care on PIP for three years. Would I still be able to claim CA if his ESA is changed from the Support Group to the Work Related activity group? I understand that if he is put in the WRAG he will lose his weekly Enhanced Disability Premium of £24.10 and our living expenses payment as a couple will be reduced.
Thank you so much for reading!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #244307 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Entitlement to Care's Allowance
Hi Fridgeraider

Carers allowance is not dependant on claiming ESA, remember with the benefit system what you get in one hand is taken away in the other apart fro DLA, PIP and AA.
www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

You state that your husband receives the enhanced DL and that you receive DLA, to give you correct information which components of DLA do you receive and who lives in the household?

There are a number of benefit calculators where you can check your benefit entitlements.
You can check by putting your information into one of the online benefit calculators.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

He would loose the Enhanced Disability Premium if he lost the enhanced daily living component of PIP.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Gary.

More
4 years 2 months ago #244316 by Susie
Replied by Susie on topic Entitlement to Care's Allowance
Thank you so much for replying Gary. In answer to your question to enable you to give me correct information, I receive low care and high mobility components of DLA. Only my husband and I live in the house.
I realise that he would lose the Enhanced Disability Premium if he lost the Enhanced Daily Living component of PIP (he has just received the award for three years).
Would he lose the Enhanced Disability Premium if he were to be transferred from the ESA Support Group to the WRA Group (but his PIP award remains unchanged)?

More
4 years 2 months ago #244318 by Gary
Hi Fridgeraider

No, he would not loose the Enhanced Disability, the Enhanced Disability is payable as he receives the enhanced daily living component of PIP.

The reason why I asked what rates of DLA you get is, if you had said middle or high rate care then I would have said that you both should be getting a SDP but as you are only getting low care then neither of you will be eligible to claim SDP.

One thing to remember for the future, if you are re-assessed for PIP and you are awarded the daily living component then you both should get the SDP .

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
4 years 2 months ago #244321 by Susie
Replied by Susie on topic Entitlement to Care's Allowance
Thank you Gary, I had wondered this. I have an indefinite award for DLA and obviously will be re-assessed for PIP before too long. Since the original award which included low care and high mobility, my care needs have been changing, with the addition of a wet room, chair raisers and a stairlift provided by the local authority following assessment by Occupational Health. I apologise if I sound very greedy but I wanted to know if I would be entitled to claim Carer's Allowance to care for my husband. I spend many many hours supervising and encouraging him when I am actually in awful pain myself. Obviously there is no point applying if they award me Carer's Allowance with one hand and take away another premium that we are already getting?!

More
4 years 2 months ago #244323 by Gary
Hi Fridgeraider

Use a benefit calculator www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators, most benefits what you get in one hand you loose in the other but you may be eligible for a premium such as carers premium £36.85pw.

DLA award is different to PIP, the descriptors are different.

PIP was engineered to be a more difficult to award than DLA, many DLA claimants will receive vastly reduced awards or even no award at all on transfer.

DLA looks at generic care needs in regard to bodily functions, PIP looks at the claimants specific ability to carry out an activity such as eating. DLA was awarded because the claimant needed an amount of care (in time) during the day, the night of both, to help them with that bodily function. PIP looks at the claimant's ability to complete specific tasks within the activity and is points-based, these are clearly defined and it is easy not to score points because the claimant has not shown that they meet those specific criteria.

DLA treated the use of aids as a reason to reduce the amount of care needed, PIP treats aids as an indication of disability and in general they score extra points.

DLA's care need was reasonably generic, PIP treats prompting, assistance and supervision as different activities and as a result, they can score different points.

DLA required that the care was required for the majority of the time, for PIP it is the majority of days.

For PIP activities must be completed reliably, this means

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

Although DLA considers these terms, they are poorly defined as they are implemented through Case Law rather than being defined in the legislation as they are for PIP.

Referring to any more recent evidence you have is more useful.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: Susie

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.