× Members

UC uprating 2020

More
4 years 1 week ago #246898 by kliance
UC uprating 2020 was created by kliance
Hello,

This year, the Government has announced that from the 6th April 2020, on top of all the usual benefits (Tax Credits, DLA, ESA AND indeed PIP) Universal Credit rates, are increasing after the four year freeze.

On top of that increase, there is also an announcement that due to Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic, the ‘standard’ allowance of Universal Credit will be raised by £1000 a year for the next 12 months.

The DWP have stated to the media
"the increases to Universal Credit standard Allowance and working tax credit will come into force from 06th April 2020" and that " the raised amount should kick in automatically for everyone who is eligible, meaning that you shouldn't need to do anything if you’re entitled to more money"

Universal Credit has today let me know that I will only receive the uprated rates from the 25th April 2020. As per last year, they have stated to me that this is because uprated amounts are only payable to claimants from the “first day of the claimants full assessment period which follows the date that uprating comes into force".

Example:
My assessment periods

25th Feb 2020 to 25th March 2020 - (paid on the 31st March 2020 –I am paid old rates of standard allowance and all other elements within Universal Credit)

25th March 2020 to 24th April 2020 - (paid on the 31st April 2020 - I am paid old rates of standard allowance and all other elements within Universal Credit

25th April 2020 to 24 May 2020 - (paid on the 31st May 2020 - I should be paid new rates of standard allowance and all other elements within Universal Credit.

This is what happened to me last year on all my payable elements within Universal Credit. Uprated rates of standard allowance for the period 06th April 2020 to the 24th April 2020 were not payable to me including uprated amounts for standard allowance, Housing element, LCWRA, child element. This is despite my rent increasing from the 1st April 2019.
It meant that I lost out on money with no opportunity to appeal. I let it go as the new rates did eventually kick in from June 2019.

The question i have is: is this correct?

I have searched for legislation which might cover this thorny issue, but I am unable to find anything specific that I may be able to use to challenge the DWP. I would appreciate any suggestions?

I will obviously not be receiving the coronavirus standard £1000 annual increase as stated in the press.
By my calculations, I will likely be receiving in the region of £937.51. I will ask for a mandatory reconsideration but am left dumbstruck when they say
‘your payments are correct; uprated amounts are payable from the first day of the claimants full assessment period which follows the date that uprating comes into force".

My apologies for the long post,
Appreciate any assistance

klian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 week ago #246919 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic UC uprating 2020
klian

I can understand why it looks like you are losing out but you aren't!

You will still receive 12 monthly payments at the new 2020 rate just as you have received 12 monthly payments at the 2019 rate. You are just receiving the increase later than others but also, earlier than others.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: kliance

More
4 years 1 week ago #246934 by kliance
Replied by kliance on topic UC uprating 2020
Gordon

Thank you for assisting.
That makes 'absolute' sense to me now!

You have clarified it in a sentence
I just wish the DWP could have explained it like you did.

klian

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.