× Members

Is this a Decision?

More
3 years 9 months ago #249044 by AlexBloomsbury
Is this a Decision? was created by AlexBloomsbury
I returned the ESA (renewal) Form in March, it was signed for but I've not had a response. Several telephone calls later, I still don't know what's happening - phone not being answered or being told "just wait".
I was put in the Support Group in 2014 and the CAB advisor(s) didn't think I'd be called for an interview partly because I've developed a couple of extra conditions post my original Support Group decision and PIP was recently renewed for 10 years, and believed it was unlikely I’d be called for interview but the DWP pushed the PIP renewal until 2 days before the Tribunal date so I was very unsure.
However, I've just had a letter from the DWP that says that there's been "a decision on your capability to work. You have been put in the Support Group"
There is no mention of assessments (paper or otherwise) or a response to the ESA Form so I wonder whether anyone else has received a similar letter as I think this sounds like a decision – i.e. via a paper assessment not F2F but is it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #249052 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Is this a Decision?
Alex

It could be a Decision Letter, the PIP Decision could have allowed them to do a Paper Based Review but the ESA letters are so badly written that I cannot state it is for certain and it is not impossible that this is just a "rogue" letter that we often see

I'm afraid, the only way to know for certain is to contact the DWP, phoning early is more likely to be successful.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlexBloomsbury

More
3 years 9 months ago #249133 by AlexBloomsbury
Replied by AlexBloomsbury on topic Is this a Decision?
(don’t know if draft got through so sorry .....)
Anyway, good news/bad news.
The good is that the letter is sort of right, inasmuch as the letter is a “decision” that the claim and cash will continue but the bad news is that this will only be for 6 months.
I was told that this is deferral is now standard practice and, in 6 months’ time (why are they always at Christmas!?) I may have a F2F, tel, video, paper review or, possibly none at all as the recent decision will simply be continued.
You were absolutely right with the “badly written ........ rogue letter”, in this case horribly uncertain and there’s now 6, horribly stressful months to get through.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #249149 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Is this a Decision?
Alex

Congratulations on the award.

Whilst the DWP may choose to reassess you at the end of the year it will be because that is what they have decided to do, it will not be the result of any extension/deferral due to COVID-19.

ESA is an indefinite award with scheduled reassessment so the DWP would not have written to you if they were just deferring your assessment.

As a consequence of the indefinite award, ESA letters do not have End Date, the November/December date is an administrative date connected to the payment of the Christmas Bonus.

I would give them a call again, you need to ask for the reassessment date that is recorded on your computer record.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlexBloomsbury

More
3 years 9 months ago #249320 by AlexBloomsbury
Replied by AlexBloomsbury on topic Is this a Decision?
Tel DWP again and, yes, I have had a decision + am still in the Support Group although I’ll be sent another form in October and have to make a fresh claim. It was pointed out that, although I know that the DWP can and do ask for such an assessment every 3 months, I stupidly hadn’t thought of 2 ESAs and 1 PIP in 7 months. A previous call had indicated that this can happen when people go to a Tribunal, which I have twice, although the 2nd was cancelled 2 days before.
On top of all of this, I was also told that there is, obviously, a huge backlog because of CORVID and that, where possible assessments are really being deferred for 6 months.
It does seem as though (and it was just about admitted to me) that this is going to be a deferral masquerading as a reclaim.
None of this helps me of course but, given the numbers involved, I wonder how many other people may, because of everything being put on hold, be having premature reclaims - though, of course, it will never be admitted!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.