× Members

Autism Support

More
3 years 8 months ago #249127 by Jasmine357
Autism Support was created by Jasmine357
Please could someone direct me to any member guides/support in relation to Autism? I can see guides for other conditions but not this one. Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #249145 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Autism Support
perfumeflower

We don't have any guides that are condition based as neither ESA/UC nor PIP are awarded for the conditions that the claimant has, rather it is the limitations that result from those conditions that are assessed and our ESA/UC and PIP Claim guides explain how to explain your limitations in regard to the activities relevant to each benefit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 8 months ago #249148 by Jasmine357
Replied by Jasmine357 on topic Autism Support
Hi, my apologies, I didn’t actually clarify properly what I was asking. I did mean to ask if there are any guides in respect of the difficulties and limitations relating to Autism. Not the condition itself.

Thank you

More
3 years 8 months ago #249150 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Autism Support
perfumeflower

I'm afraid not, there are too many conditions for us to consider providing guidance and how you are affected will be different from how another person with autism is. The claim guides explain how to explain your limitations, whatever the cause, in terms that fit with the Descriptors you are being assessed against.

If you have a specific question about your limitations and the Descriptors then we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasmine357

More
3 years 8 months ago #249164 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Autism Support
Hi perfumeflower

Autism is not a single disorder, but a spectrum of closely related disorders with a shared core of symptoms. Every individual on the autism spectrum has problems to some degree with social interaction, empathy, communication, and flexible behaviour. The level of disability and the combination of symptoms varies tremendously from person to person.

www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/about-us/contact-us.aspx
www.healthline.com/health/levels-of-autism
www.childbrain.com/pdd_print.shtml

Have you tried the NAS web site www.autism.org.uk there is lots of information and they also have a Autism helpline Call 0808 800 4104, 10am – 12pm and 1pm - 3pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasmine357

More
3 years 8 months ago #249168 by jinny50
Replied by jinny50 on topic Autism Support
The DWP are continuing to ask people who are autistic and being re-assessed for PIP to be interviewed over the phone. A friend whose partner is autistic has just been asked to do this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasmine357, layla

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.