× Members

carers allowance

More
3 years 9 months ago #249128 by jan1
carers allowance was created by jan1
hi everyone, it's been quite awhile since i last posted on here but could anyone advise me on some thing. my hubby is now a pensioner and has disabilities, he has been given the standard rate of pip care component and gets his o.a.p. and the pension criedit, i am 57 and i do not work but i look after my hubby, is it possible for me to get a carers allowance for looking after my h ubby and would it affect my hubbies benefits? thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #249146 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic carers allowance
Jan

Providing you are able to provide a minimum of 35 hours of care a week and meet the other criteria then you can make a claim for CA. It will affect your husbands Pension Credit; your CA will be treated as income and deducted and a Carers Element of around £35/week will be added. See

www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 9 months ago #249167 by jan1
Replied by jan1 on topic carers allowance
Hi Gordon,
thank you very much for that advise, when you say hubbies pension credits will be affected does that mean his guarantee pension credit? if so then they are just giving me the carers allowance and taking it off my husband so maybe there's no point in claiming it.

sounds about right with this gov. thank you very much for your advice i appreciate it a lot.

More
3 years 9 months ago #249180 by Gordon
Jan

You have missed the Carers Element that I said would be added to his PC so there should be a net increased.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 9 months ago #249210 by jan1
Replied by jan1 on topic carers allowance
Hi Gordon,

thank you i did miss some of what you said.
I'm not that well up on all these things so i may just try and claim it and see what happens.
I do not get any benefits and do not work (i am 57) so am of working age but i look after my husband.

i have been worried about claiming it in case we end up worse off but i'll take the chance.

thanks again for all your advice.

More
3 years 9 months ago #249212 by Gordon
Jan

You can put your information into one of the online benefit calculators to see what you would receive

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Claiming CA will give NI Credits that count towards a full State Pension.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.