× Members

ESA to pip

More
3 years 9 months ago #249327 by percey
ESA to pip was created by percey
Hello,
I'm seeking advice regarding a possible change in circumstances as I plan to move home. I'm currently receiving income related ESA and I'm hoping to downsize and move out of area. I'm worried about the process of going from ESA to universal credit and whether that will trigger a reassessment.
It's a big stressor for me all round, as I've needed to move for a long time but have felt unable to manage the move. However, I'm bracing myself to move on. Any advice about the transition process when on benefits and notifying the DWP and possible issues with this would be gratefully received.
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #249334 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA to pip
percey

I assume you are moving to a different Local Authority and will, therefore, have to make a new claim for Housing Benefits.

Just to confirm, you are not receiving the Severe Disability Premium which shows as "money because you are severely disabled" on the ESA letters, if you are then you are barred from claiming UC and can make a new claim for HB.

Being transferred should not trigger a reassessment unless you are actually due for one, however, you will need to chase the DWP to migrate your current award across as this is done manually and can take a while.

Thee most important thing when doing the transfer is to make sure that UC know that you have an existing ESA award so that you avoid any overpayment from receiving payment from both of the benefits.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: percey

More
3 years 9 months ago #249423 by percey
Replied by percey on topic ESA to pip
Hello Gordon,
Thanks for your reply. I have a further related query regarding moving. I don't claim housing benefit as I own my home. I need to sell to downsize and find somewhere easier to manage, but I'm also hoping to release some equity at the same time to enable the purchase of items which I currently can't afford, to make my life easier; for example a new bed, fridge and possibly a cheap second hand car. There is a possibility that the equity released wiill be more than £6000. My aim is to use anything over £6000 to buy those items. How is this likely to viewed by the DWP?

More
3 years 9 months ago #249444 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA to pip
percey

If you do not need to claim Housing Benefit then there should be no reason why you would need to transfer to Universal Credit when you move unless you would receive more on UC than you currently do.

I can't give you a definitive answer re your spending any equity that you might receive from the sale of your current house, the final Decision will lie with a Decision Maker. The things that you mention should be considered as reasonable purchases the key issue you may need to deal with is showing that you have not made the purchases with the intention of continuing to receive your benefits.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.