× Members

New State Pension & Housing Benefit

More
3 years 8 months ago #250052 by JJ
Hi Team
I am trying to work out if my partner will still be able to claim housing benefit when he reaches pension age in 2022. He currently received Income Related ESA, with myself named on the claim. I am his carer. I have had sight of some information regarding the new state pension which is in the region of £175 per week, for which I think he may qualify.
As the new rulings in relation to pension credit mean that we will both need to be of pensionable age to be able to claim, this would take us to 2027.
I am wondering what he should be claiming in the period from 2022 to 2027.
As it seems that the new State Pension amount would take him over the threshold to be able to get help with Housing Benefit. Although if the Pension Credit rulings had not changed then this is something we would have qualified for as a couple.
I hope you can help.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #250056 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic New State Pension & Housing Benefit
JJ

You will need to make a claim for Universal Credit as a couple and this will give you access to Housing Benefit, as it is a couple's claim you should remain entitled despite his pension being paid but you should check this by putting your information into one of the online benefit calculators.

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: JJ

More
3 years 7 months ago #251240 by JJ
Replied by JJ on topic New State Pension & Housing Benefit
Hi Team.
I am trying to do a predictive calculation for 2022 when my partner receives his state pension. The benefits calculators only seem to work for present time. I have had a state pension forecast for him for 2022 & his entitlement is £175.20 per week. As we are a mixed age couple, we are unable to claim pension credit so I am trying to find out what the threshold is for a couple before entitlement to universal credit stops. I need to calculate ahead of time as I need to make a decision on my occupational pension which becomes available in a few weeks. Basically I need to know the threshold for a couple who would need to claim universal credit in order to continue their entitlement to housing benefit, not for now but for 2022.
Thank you.

More
3 years 7 months ago #251254 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic New State Pension & Housing Benefit
JJ

I'm sorry but we can't help you, your UC will include the Housing Benefit and there is no way that we can calculate this as the payment will be specific to your Local Authority.

The best I suggest is that you stop trying to calculate what the situation will be in 2022 but instead put that information into a calculation for the current year.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 7 months ago #251266 by JJ
Replied by JJ on topic New State Pension & Housing Benefit
Thank you Gordon, but as we are currently on income based ESA, then I already know our calculation for the current year.

I just need to find out what would normally be the income threshold for a couple whereby one received state pension before they can claim UC, as this would then be the passport to Housing Benefit.

Thank you again.

More
3 years 7 months ago #251282 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic New State Pension & Housing Benefit
Hi JJ

Your question is not that straight forward as it depends on a number of factors such as who is the claimant of various benefits you are receiving.

Whilst you are receiving IR ESA you will continue to HB. unfortunately this forum does not answer questions concerning HB as it is outside the remit of the forum. You should seek advice from your local welfare rights unit or Shelter if it is to do with housing.

Mixed age couples

www.gov.uk/government/publications/housi...ons-from-15-may-2019

You are a mixed age couple if one of you is pension age and the other is working age.

From 15 May 2019, most mixed age couples must claim universal credit instead of housing benefit and pension credit.

If you already get housing benefit, you can continue to do so unless a change in your situation means you have to claim universal credit instead.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: JJ

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.