× Members

ESA & Group Income Protection

More
3 years 8 months ago #250185 by Ann
ESA & Group Income Protection was created by Ann
Dear forum members, my query is with regard to ESA and Group Income Protection.

Here are the facts of the matter:

1. I am currently employed full time and on long term sick leave.
2. I am not receiving SSP as this has been exhausted.
3. I am due to receive a monthly payment from my employer's Group Income Protection Scheme, starting at the end of August 2020.
4. I have not made any contribution towards the payment of premiums for this Group Income Protection Scheme (GIPS).
5. The GIP is only payable to employees who remain in the employment of my company.
6. The GIP is not payable to employees who retire or leave the company for whatever reason.
7. The GIP is payable for a defined period of time (up to 5 years [or death / or upon leaving the company]).
8. I will still be paying NI, tax, and pension contributions from my GIP payment.
8.I have received a letter from DWP stating that I am entitled to ESA and my claim is being assessed, but they did not know about the GIP as i think the questionnaire only asked about pensions..
9. I have written to the DWP outlining all the facts above to make my situation transparent.
10. The DWP ESA Regs 2013 state that: "permanent health insurance payment" means any periodical payment arranged by an employer under an insurance policy providing benefits in connection with physical or mental illness or disability, in relation to a former employee on the termination of that person's employment.

I don't believe that my GIP payment meets the description above and therefore should not be taken into account when assessing my claim for ESA.

My query is this, am I entitled to claim ESA if I am in receipt of a regular sickness payment from my employer, in terms of the GIP.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #250205 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA & Group Income Protection
Ann

As long as you are still employed then the payment should be disregarded although you still need to disclose it the DWP, make sure you do this in writing preferably using a Tracked post so you have proof of delivery.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: _smiler_

More
3 years 8 months ago #250272 by Ann
Replied by Ann on topic ESA & Group Income Protection
Thanks for your reply Gordon which is much appreciated.

I have written to the DWP in great detail and provided all of the facts, as I don't want to unwittingly make a fraudulent claim.

I'll let this group know the outcome as soon as I hear back from the DWP.

Regards.

More
3 years 5 months ago #253696 by Ann
Replied by Ann on topic ESA & Group Income Protection
I wrote to the DWP outlining my full circumstances, including my group income protection. I have had a telephone assessment and been placed in the support group. I also followed up with DWP to get confirmation that they had received my letter detailing my circumstances and was told that the Decision Maker had taken my letter into account when assessing my claim. I have also requested a copy of my medical report which was compiled by a medical doctor, following my 20 minute telephone assessment. I hope this info assists others. Regards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: _smiler_

More
3 years 5 months ago #253697 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA & Group Income Protection
Hi Ann

Thank you for posting, I am sure other members will find it very useful, I did.

Congratulations on being placed in the support group.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.