× Members

Benefits implications of moving house

More
3 years 7 months ago #250848 by Mick Egan
Benefits implications of moving house was created by Mick Egan
Hello,
I am currently in receipt of ESA and full PIP,as my life limiting condition has deteriorated i/we feel that i may need to sell up and move to a bungalow due to mobility,local area is also becoming a worry,but as i own my house outright how would selling affect current status of benefits? would it automatically mean going onto UC is my worry,as a single man would be staying in the local area due to carer proximity,how can this most easily be achieved as my daughter trying to coordinate sale and purchase of another property without money compromising my limit of money in bank if sale went through first so to speak,too old for a mortgage so i am really concerned may have to endure living where i am for the remainder of time,years on morphine lead to confusion hence daughters involvement,hopefully there is a solution or template for this conundrum,Thanks- Stay Safe all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #250862 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Benefits implications of moving house
Kettle

Your PIP is not affected whatever happens.

If you are only receiving Contribution Based ESA or New Style ESA then your savings will not affect your payments.

If you are receiving Income Related ESA in part or in whole then any proceeds from the sale of your house can be disregarded for 26 weeks, possibly longer, providing it is clear that you intend to use the money for the purchase of a new property. You need to inform the DWP about what you are doing.

Nothing in your post would suggest a need for you to claim Universal Credit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 7 months ago #250868 by Mick Egan
Replied by Mick Egan on topic Benefits implications of moving house
Hello Gordon,
I am on income related ESA,the now defunct Council Welfare rights lad who was most helpful at the time of my claim sorted all that i think and no idea how ended up or why Income Related ESA was the option as opposed to contributed based as i had worked 40 years prior with a only a briefly interrupted sick leave once in 40 yrs prior to this surgery ,is what it is i suppose but if advance warning to DWP is best policy then so be it,is there any fail-safes can be applied when informing or any particular DWP dept be informed? you know how things can sometimes go awry or communication confusion with DWP
If my benefits arent affected by local change of address then thats a relief,thought it was being used as a tool to get folk onto UC where possible,just get daughter to notify them of new address if and when applicable then? Many Thanks

More
3 years 7 months ago #250869 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Benefits implications of moving house
Hi Kettle

In regards to your ESA claim we do not have enough information to give you any guidance such as are you in the WRAG or SG? Do you receive SDP? does anyone claim CA for looking after you?

If you do not receive SDP and you move within the same local authority then you can still claim legacy benefits and you will not have to apply for UC.

You need to find out what your property is worth and the cost of bungalows in your area, plus any aids and adaptions required before you move in.

Take note of what Gordon has written below in proceeds and disregards.

I cannot see in any harm with you cantacting DWP and discuss your intensions, at least you will have it on record and they may be able to give you guidance, emphaise the move is due to your deteriorating condition.

If you have any further questions, come back to the forum.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 7 months ago #251012 by Mick Egan
Thanks Gary,had wait get daughter to find and interpet paperwork,currently get living allowance-am in SG,get SDP,small amount for DIG?,all added up then my small works pensions deducted from total.
Not sure where any carer payment CA is involved? apart from PIP
Living alone,never married,family and extended family rota round visiting help,shopping and most all other needed
A decade since claim was sorted - took over a year to sort -,so when Council WR was disbanded no other enquiries made -apart from getting PIP

Assume 'legacy benefits' means my benefits would remain the same if moved locally -have no wish to compound current situation -just trying to assess what implications a house move would impact on current circumstances,as was first ever experience of the system -you may understand reluctance to go through that again,witout WR lad &BW we would have been stuck
Gordon's pointer was one of main original worries clarified tbf
Thanks again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
3 years 7 months ago #251253 by Mick Egan
Hello Gary,
I replied and mentioned i do get SDP,you have mentioned if i do not get SDP moving within the same local authority then legacy benefits can be claimed,what are the implications or difference when getting SDP if any?
Thanks

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.