× Members

PIP appeal adjourned as I am in ESA support group

More
3 years 6 months ago #250881 by swecri
Hi all,

I am disabled myself and have 17 years of DLA/PIP claimant experience. Last year I supported a relative to make a PIP claim after she became acutely unwell and received a significant diagnosis which was life changing.

Her PIP points were all 0. We requested a Mandatory Reconsideration with further evidence, still refused, so went to appeal.

To give you a background, this lady has epilepsy, osteoarthritis, diverticulitis, and hip and shoulder dysplasia. She is waiting for a hip replacement. She has developed significant anxiety around being left alone (following a seizure which happened in a public place whereby she injured herself) and won't leave the house. Additionally, due to her worsening dexterity due to arthritic hands, she accidentally cut off the tip of her finger last year which resulted in further amputation of the digit.

Earlier this year, this lady underwent a medical assessment for ESA and was placed in the support group category. She has been deemed as unable to work. As such, when her appeal went to tribunal last week (telephone), the judge adjourned because he thinks it is relevant to review the ESA medical assessment paperwork. Annoyingly, I pointed out in the MR that she had been placed in the support group but the response was simply "entitlement to ESA does not guarantee entitlement to PIP"

Does anyone have any experience of this happening at appeal? Or does anyone have any thoughts on what to make of this reason for adjournment? The lady I am supporting has significant issues with anxiety and I would really like to be able to reassure her.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #250883 by BIS
Hi Sarah

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

It is certainly not unheard of for the judge to adjourn a case for more information. The judge obviously feels that the panel does not have a full picture of your relative's difficulties and would not be able to make a fair judgment without it.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 6 months ago #250897 by swecri
Hi,

Thank you for your response (and advice- username changed :) )

I am keen to know what people's experiences have been and whether the judge has retrieved the ESA assessment report and been able to make a judgement without the hearing needing to be heard by the tribunal?

Thanks

More
3 years 6 months ago #250916 by Gary
Hi swecri

The ESA assessment report is usually contained within the bundle of documents issued by the DWP to the Tribunal and the claimant.

I have attended a Tribunal where the Judge adjourned the hearing for medical reports, it hearing was to do with epilepsy, the Judge received over 200 pages of medical evidence, needless to say we were successful at the rehearing.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 6 months ago #250964 by swecri
Hi Gary,

Thanks for this response. Her case has been accompanied by extensive amounts of evidence and I live in hope that her needs will be acknowledged and recognised because she needs more help than she's getting at the moment. Her quality of life is so poor as a result.

Fingers crossed!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.