× Members

UC50 form filling help

More
3 years 6 months ago #250981 by mattquinn
PIP washing and bathing, part of the day was created by mattquinn
I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and depression. Because of the combination of the two there are days when I don't shower/bathe, although I physically could, because I don't have the motivation to make the effort required. There are also days when I lack motivation for only part of the day. If I understand this right, with PIP if something can't be done for part of the day then it counts as applying to the whole day. Does this also apply to washing and bathing? given that there's no particular time when I "should" bathe (compared to getting dressed, say)?

For example, my CFS symptoms are worse in the morning, so I am often not motivated to make the effort to bathe/shower when I get up (even if I wake up soaked in sweat), but a few hours later when I'm feeling less rubbish and have rested, I will. Or more generally, I intend to shower/bathe, but keep putting it off, then run out of energy and need to rest, and end up doing it hours later.

Do these examples meet the PIP descriptors for needing prompting. Or is the case that if I manage to bath/shower at some point in the day, it counts as being able to for that day?  

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #250999 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic UC50 form filling help
midge

The rule about "part of the day" applies but it is not a clear route to scoring points, you need to apply context, so washing and getting dressed are things that someone would reasonably be expected to do at the start of the day, so if you are unable to do them then you, as your post implies, then you should reasonably be assumed to be unable to do them that day.

Other activities such as preparing a meal or eating and drinking are expected to have more flexibility as to when they are done, so you would struggle to score for arguing that you could not cook in the morning and the DM will argue that you can do this later in the day when your symptoms have eased.

So, yes I think you can score but make sure that you add the context to your limitations, don't assume that the assessor or DM will do this on their own.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik

More
3 years 6 months ago #251011 by Erik
Replied by Erik on topic UC50 form filling help
I also have Chronic Fatigue and depression so this is an interesting topic for me. I hardly ever shower, just a few times a year when I absolutely must and cannot avoid it. Most of the time I just fresh up the smelly bits with some wet wipes. However, I do wear a fresh set of clothes every day which minimizes any issues.

More
3 years 6 months ago #251060 by mattquinn
Replied by mattquinn on topic UC50 form filling help

Gordon wrote: midge
So, yes I think you can score but make sure that you add the context to your limitations, don't assume that the assessor or DM will do this on their own.
Gordon

Thanks Gordon.

Can you say what to you mean when you say I need to "add context"? Do I need to go into more detail about why I don't shower/bathe? Or give examples somehow?

Many thanks

More
3 years 6 months ago #251095 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic UC50 form filling help
Hi Midge

"Putting it in context," means you need to put an explanation about how you shower/or bathe - rather than saying it's something you can't always do. So describe whatever difficulties you have and yet you can give specific examples. If you can't or won't do it for the majority of the time, you need to make this clear. If you can't do it until later in the day - you also need to state it and explain why.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.