× Members

Help with Attendance Allowance

More
3 years 7 months ago #251064 by Goodlife
Help with Attendance Allowance was created by Goodlife
Hi All.
Just looking at trying to claim Attendance Allowance for my husband due to his deterioration following his recent second cancer operation. He has received 'incurrable' diagnosis, not terminal at this stage. I have downloaded the March 2020 Booklet on completing and undertaken the 5 minute test to check if he should claim (which is a definite yes). The hospital where he had his last operation has a MacMillan adviser and she has said she will complete the form for him. Due to all going on decided to take easy route and allow her to do that. Question I have is due to both his illness and my own the deadline for returning is looming - is it possible to obtain an extension to the date stamped on the form the dwp sent out? If so how would we go about obtaining an extension. Sorry know forum for other benefits but any assistance welcomed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #251078 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Help with Attendance Allowance
Hi babydoll

I do not believe you can get an extension to complete an AA application form. If you do not get the forms back in time then your claim will not be backdated to when you phoned for the form, your claim will start from when they receive the forms.

I have always found it very useful for a partner of the claimant to write a supporting letter setting out what support they give on a daily basis and why. Remember that AA is about personal care, what care do you give to your husband on a daily basis such as helping him get out of bed, getting dressed, washing, medication, etc etc

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goodlife

More
3 years 7 months ago #251081 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Help with Attendance Allowance
babydoll

The criteria for AA is the same as DLA with the exception that AA has no Mobility component so use our DLA Claim guides to help you complete the form.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/dla

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.