× Members

PIP Renewal Assessment

More
3 years 7 months ago #251089 by sweetpea
PIP Renewal Assessment was created by sweetpea
Hi, I first applied for PIP in 2014, and was awarded it after a face to face assessment at my home, until October 2020. I was written to a few months ago to tell me this has been extended until April 2021 due to coronavirus. However I have just received the renewal letter, and told I have to return it by 27th September or my award will stop. Does anyone know if they are now doing face to face assessments again, or if they are just doing paper based and telephone ones at the moment? I suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder and part of that is OCD, I have been staying away from everyone due to Covid and couldn't cope at all with a face to face assessment, I think I would end up in hysteria and would be terrified. I am trying to include as much as I can with the form, including letters from my mum and partner, a diary from myself and a letter from a health professional saying I have clinically significant symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder, anxiety and depression and am on a waiting list for therapy, although this letter is now a year old as everything got delayed due to Covid and I haven't been assessed since as I'm still on the waiting list. Does anyone know if this would normally be enough for a paper based assessment? I have also explained with the form that when I applied for it last time, the face to face assessment made me very unwell, and as a result when I applied for ESA afterwards, I was placed into the support group without an assessment as my psychiatrist provided a letter to say it would severely affect my mental health to have a face to face. Unfortunately I'm not under that psychiatrist any more, otherwise I would ask him to do the same again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #251096 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP Renewal Assessment
Hi Sweetpea

The assessment services are not yet carrying out face to face assessments yet, so it will either be a paper-based or telephone assessment. Which it will be, I cannot tell you. You could try asking your GP if they are supportive that you would be better of with a paper-based assessment - but without their back up you may struggle to get one. If they do a letter, it needs to contain the words that having a telephone assessment would cause 'overwhelming psychological distress'. You could also try (even though it is old) and attach the previous letter from your psychiatrist and say that you are on the waiting list for further treatment. I'm not saying it will work, but it's always worth having a go. I know this was about face to face, but you could say the difficulties remain the same with someone over the phone.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 7 months ago #251110 by denby
Replied by denby on topic PIP Renewal Assessment
Hi, just to suport what BIS says, and let you know that even though GP did not use the exact 'magic' OPD phrase his specially done and therefore recent letter still got our daughter a paper based assessment this summer. I did pay £42 but think it good value to save so much trauma.
Best wishes, Denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.