× Members

Housing Benefits for two homes

More
3 years 7 months ago #251252 by a7medbadger
Housing Benefits for two homes was created by a7medbadger
Dear All,

I am going to move to another borough next month and as you may know that many private landlords discriminate against people who receive housing benefits and it was really difficult to find a landlord who is willing to rent me a flat.

Fortunately, I have secured a flat and already singed the contract and the moving date is the 1st of October but I will have to give one month notice to the current landlord on the 7th of October, so typically the last day in the current flat is the 7th of November.

I do not know what to do next, do I have to wait till the leave the current flat or I can apply for housing benefits for the new one too?

I am concerned that when I apply for the new one, the current one will stop straightaway, and the current rent is double the rent of the new one.

Just to let you know, I receive SDP.

Regards,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #251257 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Housing Benefits for two homes
a7medbadger

I'm afraid we do not deal with Housing Benefit on the forum.

All I can suggest is that you contact your Local Authority about the issue, I would not expect them to pay the HB for both properties at the same time.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 7 months ago #251259 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Housing Benefits for two homes
Hi a7medbadger

As Gordon has stated we do not deal with HB issues on this forum. As you are in receipt of SDP then you will still be able to claim HB even if you are moving to a new LA area, (unless it is in Harrogate area). For information on HB issues and claiming HB on two properties see Shelter web site.

england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/be...enefit_for_two_homes

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 6 months ago #251384 by geordie52
Replied by geordie52 on topic Housing Benefits for two homes
Hi.

From personal experience, you can only receive HB for two properties if the new property is being adjusted for your disability. (4 weeks)
You give HB details of your move date, and that is the date used to end your old claim and begin your new claim.

Hope that helps.

More
3 years 6 months ago #251409 by Mr B
Replied by Mr B on topic Housing Benefits for two homes
Hi Paul

You will see from the link in Gary's post immediately above yours that there are several circumstances - and not just the one you mentioned - in which a person may be able to claim Housing Benefit on two homes. It is possible that the OP may well fall into one of those categories so, as advised, he should contact the local authorities concerned to discuss this.

Kind regaerds

Mr B
The following user(s) said Thank You: geordie52

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.