× Members

Can ESA claim be suspended as not sure what to do

More
3 years 7 months ago #251316 by ziggi6
I think I am over the threshold for ESA due to a recent bequest can I suspend my claim or do I have to cancel it am worried about my old age pension. How will this affect me and can I pay for NI Stamps to keep pension going ? Any help or advice would be apprecited

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #251335 by Gordon
Dora

First of all, are you receiving Income Related ESA, Contribution Based ESA or a combination of the two? If you are only receiving ESA(CB) then your payments are not affected by your assets and savings, if you are receiving any ESA(IR) then it can be reduced or stopped by this money.

Which limit are you over the £6000 limit or the £16,000 one? If the former then you need to contact the DWP so that deductions can be made from your ESA(IR). If the latter then you will lose your eligibility for ESA(IR) and any payments will stop, if you are also receiving ESA(CB) then this will continue.

You should continue to receive NI Credits that count towards a Full State pension providing you continue to have Limited Capability for Work, in other words, you remain unfit for work.

If your savings reduce to under the £16,000 then you can make a claim for Universal Credit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.