× Members

Paper Assessment request ignored

More
3 years 6 months ago #252508 by Wilson28
Paper Assessment request ignored was created by Wilson28
I have recently applied for PIP for the first time. I suffer from severe social anxiety, depression and a neuromuscular condition which has severely changed day to day life. I requested a paper based assessment because of my mental health issurs as I struggle with verbal communication. This morning I receied a letter from Capita saying I need to have a telephone consultation. I feel sick with anxiety and have been in tears. I sent 11 pages of additional information, physio reports and hospital letters with my claim. Is there any way I can challenge the decision to refuse my paper based request. Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #252513 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Paper Assessment request ignored
Hi Diane

Unfortunately, Capita do not have to accept your request for a paper-based assessment.

You can ring and ask them to change your mind - however, if you do that, they may argue that you are capable of communicating over the phone! (I'm not saying it's the same - just what their attitude might be.

You can ring and ask what will it take for you to have a paper-based assessment - they might say a letter from your GP confirming that it would cause you "overwhelming psychological distress" - and that statement needs to appear in the letter if your GP is willing to write one. Even that is not always accepted.

You can contact your GP and see if they will get involved and see if they can get Capita and DWP to change their mind.

It is very difficult to get them to change their mind without specific support from a medical professional about your mental health difficulties.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.