× Members

Help Please

More
3 years 5 months ago #253256 by rjstone
Help Please was created by rjstone
Currently renting privately, receiving LHA, Council Tax Benefit, ESA, and PIP.
I will shortly be receiving an inheritance following the death of my mother that will be above £16000.
Please could you advise what i need to do?
I believe i need to close the claim for ESA, LHA and Council Tax benefit and live off the inheritance?
Can PIP continue as normal?
Will i have to pay full council tax (minus 25% single person)
What about my national insurance contributions, will they be paid or how do i pay them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #253306 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Help Please
(0-0)

You should not close any claim but you do need to inform the DWP and your Local Authority and I would expect them to close your claims.

If you are also entitled to Contribution Based ESA then this will still be payable for at least a year if you are not in the SG and have not already spent time outside of the SG or indefinitely if you are in the SG. If you do not currently qualify for ESA(CB) then you cannot now unless you worked throughout the Tax Years 2017-18 and 2018-2019.

You should receive NI Credits as long as you continue to have Limited Capability for Work but check with the DWP as we often hear that they have not notified the HMRC.

As you will no longer have an award of ESA, unless you still have ESA(CB), then I would expect you to have to pay full Council Tax unless you qualify for the discount through some other benefit such as PIP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 5 months ago #253350 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Help Please
Firstly sorry for your loss (0-0). Please be aware that when this happened to us we had terrible trouble when the inheritance ran out, as they would not accept it had gone on perfectly ordinary living expenses [food and bills] and that the little in the bank was really all we had left. They wanted receipts we had not kept, and punitively applied theoretical interest of £1 per week per £250 I think it was, of what they alleged we had left, and deducted the £1s from our benefits. Maybe UC if that's what you go to in future is different, but I would check most carefully what they will 'allow' you to spend the money on, and what records you need to keep. So if appliances, home furnishings etc are 'OK,' now might be the time to replace them but keep those receipts, and the petrol, and the supermarket ones.... Best wishes, Denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.