× Members

Suspension of ESA face-to-face reassessments

More
3 years 5 months ago #253328 by Ant
Hello,

Does anyone know if face-to-face reassessments for Employment and Support Allowance are still suspended due to the coronavirus? The last word I'm able to find on it is the advice from July on the link below.

If so, what happens when the claimant is due for reassessment? I can imagine three things:

(1) the claimant is sent a Capability for Work questionnaire as usual, but the assessment is done on paper or over the telephone,

(2) the Work Capability Assessment itself is skipped and the claimant's reassessment date is deferred by a certain period (possibly their last "prognosis" period), or

(3) nothing for now—i.e. the system has been "halted" and will pick up from where it left off albeit with a backlog of reassessments.

Has anyone been due a reassessment since July? What was your experience?

Thanks.

www.gov.uk/government/news/face-to-face-...-disability-benefits

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #253340 by Gordon
Ant

The DWP have restarted assessments for new claims and ones where a Change has been reported, we also believe that they have been restarted for assessments that are already in progress.

As far as we know the DWP are not initiating new reassessments at the moment but there is no legal restriction stopping them from doing so.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ant

More
3 years 5 months ago #253356 by petrocelli
Replied by petrocelli on topic Suspension of ESA face-to-face reassessments
Hi and thanks Ant and Gordon
So, to recap that I've understood correctly for those of us whose longstanding files have not been pulled since Covid-19 lockdown 1. At present it doesn't appear that DWP are beginning to revisit those files for reassessments, which they are at liberty to restart anytime. I'm on ESA (C). On the one hand it's a relief, on the other having no idea as to when 'that envelope's' going to hit the doormat, can be as bad!
Keep safe all.
Kind regards
P

More
3 years 5 months ago #253358 by Gary
Hi petrocelli

I have to agree with you but the good news is that ESA is an indefinite award until you are re-assessed.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 5 months ago #253370 by MrFibro
Replied by MrFibro on topic Suspension of ESA face-to-face reassessments
Hi petrocelli,

Just look at it this way! Every day that brown envelope doesn't land on your door mat means at least you will still be and keep getting paid.

Hopefully hundreds of thousands of us claimant's in the WRAG / SG Groups won't be hounded for quite some time.

Personally I think the DWP are obviously presently, and in to ther near future too bogged down with new claimants. And the system would come to a grinding halt if all sg/wrags reassessments were also to be re-assessed.

So the DWP is banking on the covid recedes significantly, or a workable vaccine is initiated, meaning they can then re-assess us all once again. And the wheels of the DWP will be running at full speed ahead as per usual.

Common sense would had told the DWP to just park many claimants with long standing severe health conditions from any further re-assessments.

But that would be too much of a nice logical humane thing to do. So yes its continuing our life's with great unknowingness when we will next be reassessed. All adding stress in our life's and causing further health damage.

Good luck to all.

More
3 years 5 months ago #253383 by betyui
The date I was given for a support group review a few years ago has just passed in the last few days, so I guess I will just have to wait and see, I don't think I will contact them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.