× Members

Autistic DLA claimant worried about telephone

More
3 years 5 months ago #253426 by Fortunate
Hi

I have got your email and am worried about an article on humiliating telephone assessments.
I am diagnosed autistic and don't do stuff like this on the telephone.
It could bring on a meltdown putting my safety at grave risk.
Also, I thought they were doing light touch assessments for PIP claimants.
Please could you help
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #253439 by Gordon
Fortunate

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Have you been invited to claim PIP yet?

Light Touch reviews only apply to claimants that already have an award of PIP and even then only to those who have what is called an On-Going award.

Whilst there are clearly issues with the telephone assessment process our article in the newsletter only applies to a limited number of assessments and there is no reason for you to assume that you will not have a perfectly OK one.

Also, whilst telephone assessments are being done at the moment due to the pandemic it is likely once we get past this that the majority of interviews will return to the more traditional face to face ones.

Lastly, this is not something that you have to do on your own; a relative, friend or support worker can be present on the call with you to support you and to help you get through the call.

So, please park any concerns that you have about this for the moment especially with Xmas approaching, if you are asked to claim PIP then come back to the forum and we will do our best to help you through the process.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 5 months ago #253466 by Fortunate
Replied by Fortunate on topic Autistic DLA claimant worried about telephone
Hi Gordon thanks for your reply.
I am familiar with B&W I left my subscription expire but took advantage of the good offer and joined again today.

I have not been invited to claim PIP
I am on indefinite DLA

I agree some people have ok phone assessments but my autism makes it nigh on impossible to communicate about such matters in a phone call.

I don't have anyone at the moment, my advocate for a big mental health charity left in sept 2019 due to a dispute with them and I have been left without, my social worker was looking into it but I have not heard from them either.

I had a post diagnostic interview as my autism is newly diagnosed and they are trying to get me an advocate from somewhere else.

PS sorry for duplicate message.

More
3 years 5 months ago #253469 by Gordon
Fortunate

PIP considers your ability to mix and communicate with others and this should also be a consideration in regard to whether any type of "oral" assessment is appropriate.

The DWP are prioritising new claims and ones where the claimant has reported a Change, I would not be surprised if DLA to PIP transfers are suspended until next year when we have better control of the virus.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 5 months ago #253484 by denby
Hi Fortunate, I really hope some good support can be found for you as a newly diagnosed adult with Autism, as my husband is still waiting for this 8 years after getting his Asperger's diagnosis. He too doesn't do the phone if he can possibly possibly avoid it. Even to the length of not speaking for many months to an adored sibling who lives miles away.
Let's hope Gordon's guess about DWP comes true and you have got support by the time they get round to you. Are you on good terms with your GP or other doctor, so that they would write a 'To whom it may concern' letter explaining that your Autism is severe enough that you cannot do a phone assessment? It needs to use the phrase "Overwhelming Psychological Distress" and confirm it would put your safety at risk and that this situation will not change. You could be working on organising this letter at your own pace, in readiness. If you once get it, hopefully this will give you some peace of mind.
Very best wishes, Denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.