× Members

Re PIP new claim

More
3 years 4 months ago #253487 by Diane858
Re PIP new claim was created by Diane858
Hi Everyone,

I desperately need some advice please,
I have to start my PIP claim which i keep putting off out of fear and uncertainty of what i should do,
At the moment i receive low rate Mobility DLA which was a lifetime award,
My health has deteriorated very badly over the years but i havent yet told the DWP,
I have just been put into the ESA support group Thanks to your guidance and help

If i was to print off the form for my GP to support my PIP claim, am i allowed to write her a letter explaining all my difficulties so my GP can fill the forms out properly?
She obviously knows of my health problems as she wrote a letter of support for my ESA But that was just stating all my health conditions, not really of how they affect me?
I feel cheeky and don't want my GP to feel like i am telling her how to do her job Or that i am telling her What to write?
I don't know what to do?
I feel so stressed at the thought of all this,
I can't afford to loose my £94 month DLA But i know i should be receiving help with PIP, plus i need to inform the DWP anyway!

There is a group on Facebook that charge to help do all of this for you who seem to have a good success rate,, i can't afford them But i am just wondering if anyone has used help like this?

This is now consuming my every waking thought and i cannot eat or sleep worrying about it,
I have nobody to ask for help,
The Only human contact i ever have is with my daughter who works full time and doesn't understand any of this,
I am stressing my lovely girl out with this worry too
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thank You

Diane xx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #253497 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Re PIP new claim
Hi Misty

I can see no reason why you cannot write to your doctor explaining your difficulties.

PIP is substantially different from DLA and the criteria are stricter. PIP was engineered to be more difficult to award than DLA and many DLA claimants will receive reduced awards or even no award at all on transfer.

DLA looks at generic care needs in regard to bodily functions, PIP looks at the claimant's specific ability to carry out an activity such as eating. DLA was awarded because the claimant needed an amount of care (in time) during the day, the night of both, to help them with that bodily function.

PIP looks at the claimant's ability to complete specific tasks within the activity and is points-based, these are clearly defined and it is easy not to score points because the claimant has not shown that they meet those specific criteria.

DLA treated the use of aids as a reason to reduce the amount of care needed, PIP treats aids as an indication of disability and in general they score extra points.

DLA's care need was reasonably generic, PIP treats prompting, assistance and supervision as different activities and as a result, they can score different points.

DLA required that the care was required for the majority of the time, for PIP it is the majority of days.

For PIP activities must be completed reliably, this means

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

Although DLA considers these terms, they are poorly defined as they are implemented through Case Law rather than being defined in the legislation as they are for PIP.

You should also be aware that there is less focus on the condition/s that people suffer from but their ability to fulfill the tasks as set out in the PIP criteria.

Check out our guides to help you complete your form.
www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diane858

More
3 years 4 months ago #253536 by Mollie
Replied by Mollie on topic Re PIP new claim
This was similar to my situation. I must stress it was before any lockdowns or the virus. I had an appointment with my GP and told him I was going to apply for PIP and that I would need a supporting letter. I said that I realised that although he knew my medication and diagnosis he didn't know the day-to-day struggles I had and if I made some notes he could use them when writing the letter. My GP agreed to this and did a superb letter of support.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.